Anyone have recommendations for a trap that will catch fox and/or raccoon?

goodfood59

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 30, 2013
I would like to purchase or construct a live trap. I cannot use leg traps as there are to many dogs in the area. I know foxes are notoriously hard to catch in a live traps, but the fox that is bothering my chickens is clearly bold and young, not wise and old like me -LOL

Why does he want to catch it alive? Read his post. That’s about as clear as he can make it.

I use a live trap so I can release unharmed things I catch if I want to. I’ve released doves and cats, for example.

Get a raccoon sized trap, probably at a hardware or feed store. It needs to be big enough. Hav-a-hart is the best known brand but others can work. If you get one with an opening at both ends, leave one closed. As far as I am concerned, that second opening is just an extra escape route.

Depending on where you are, you might be able to borrow one from animal control. They might even dispose of any animal you happen to catch. That doesn’t help a lot of us but maybe you’re one of the lucky ones.

I built this shell out of plywood to fit over the trap so the only way the critter can approach the bait is through the open door. I also wired the trap itself to a piece of plywood to stabilize it. You don’t want the animal to be able to turn the trap over. This is for a raccoon. You can use sardines or marshmallow for bait if you wish. I just take a spoonful of peanut butter and wad that inside a piece of paper towel. It’s not because peanut butter is better, just that I always have peanut butter on hand. Another advantage for me is that peanut butter works on many different animals. Sometimes I’m not sure what is causing the problem, raccoon, possum, or skunk. Peanut butter works on all of them. I even caught a feral cat once. I still haven’t figured that one out.

Foxes are a lot harder. They are smart. I’ve never caught one, but I’ve never set a trap for one. The design I’ve seen on here that seems to work is pretty involved. Put the bait, a live chicken or rabbit, in a cage that will keep it safe from the fox. Put the trap in front of that cage, then cover it so the only way to the animal is through the trap. The person that I got this from on here said that it usually took several nights for this to work. He had a game camera set up and could see the fox sniffing around a few nights before finally giving up and going into the trap.

Yes, a large "Havaheart" (We have one but it's not that brand name) works well for catching raccoons. We have caught and killed three raccoons who were insisting on digging under our coop every night. Be aware, they do a number on the trigger system, we are going to have to buy a new one after catching three.

As far as fox, well, we still have yet to find a way to get our local bother. We will not use snares as we have young children. My husband has on several occasions taken out his shot gun to hunt for the crafty thing, but he never get 'im.

Thanks for the information ridgerunner. I don't really want to catch it alive. I just don't want to hurt or kill any pets. I know it is a fox. I have seen it several times. Once it dug under my mobile laying coop and got a chicken. I put a 6 inch skirt of wire around the bottom, but that makes it harder to move each day. I am thinking of putting an electric wire around. Electric wire has worked well (so far) for my bigger mobile coop that is away from my house. I am sure many foxes, racoons, and maybe even coyotes visit it. I also have a racoon that visits my deck each night looking for cat food. I think I will buy a large havaheart trap (or other). The info about peanut butter is good to know. Thanks

Amazing how such a simple question can get such a rude arrogant response. It is amazing to me how someone might respond with a keyboard when they would never respond the same way in person.

The reason for the question is that it was mentioned that this animal was bold and the OP has seen the animal. I wondered to myself if it was safe to just shoot the animal, because after the animal is caught you have to do something with the animal anyways. Letting it go somewhere is not an option. Just a question. Never meant any harm.

I have the same trap ridgerunner has. The first year I caught 18 coons and 2 possums. My hubby always wants to relocate them but I have a gold bullet that works better. Don't want anyone passing their coons on to me so I don't pass mine on. The second year only 3 coons. So far only 1 this year but I have a very craft coon I'm dealing with now. For a week we have been playing cat and mouse games. I have tied bones actually wired bones to the top of the cage right above the flap. Somehow he got all the bones without throwing the trap. I've wired sardines and tuna to the back of the cage and now have some tuna wired to the bottom of the cage. I keep trying and he keeps avoiding. He didn't get the tuna last night although he did turn the trap over trying. Someone on here suggested a trap called "duke dog proof coon trap". I've already ordered me one and waiting for it to arrive. Until then I will continue with the live trap. I may add the cover like ridgerunner has to see if that will help. :/ ;)

Back
Top Bottom