Anyone have "sensitive" roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NellaBean, May 12, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have the most hilarious little mottled cochin rooster. He picks fights with everybody, so he has been locked up alone since I got him. I used to keep him in a crate at night and in a tractor out in the big yard with the free rangers during the day. My dogs ate the tractor (whoops), so I have moved him to a rabbit hutch in the garage and left him in there for the last few weeks. it is plenty big enough for him, and it next to the nestboxes, so he had hens coming and going during the day for company........however a few days ago I noticed he was SO SAD and lethargic. Just sitting in the dark part of the hutch all alone. I opened the door and he didn't want to come out. I brought him out and he just sat there........didn't try to pick any fights, didn't try to scrounge for food. Nothing.

I have since moved him out to a a new breeder coop I built. he is still alone but has his own 2x4 coop and 6x4 attached run. His whole personality is back to normal. I have been letting him out at night when I go to lock the others up and he was chasing the broodies down and picking fights with the other roosters and doing his treat cluck cluck cluck dance all over the place. Such a sensitive little guy......I've never had a bird act like that. He was so sad to be locked in that hutch instead of out locked up in a pen. I didn't realize it would make much different but he is thrilled to have his little coop and has put himself away at dark ever since the first night.

Is this normal? or he is "special"? Anyone else have an overly sensitive chicken or rooster?
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

My EE Marilyn loves to dance for me in the morning - I kneel down and say good morning and he dances around me clucking and then we have a brief cuddle/hug. If I am in a hurry and do not stop, he will run after me as I leave "crying" the whole way. So even if rushed, I try to spend the minute or two it takes for our morning talk.

My little RIR bantam roo - Woodstock loves to sit in my lap. He will spend hours snuggled down on my leg, watching the other chickens and the world go by.

Actually all my roos seem sensitive to one thing or another - Versace likes to be talked to and for me to walk slow enought that he can keep all the girls "caught up" with me.

Roos are so very lovable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by