Anyone have their coop inside of a large run? Pics?

Pics
May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Having trouble finding photos of this, curious if anyone has a free-standing coop inside of their run. With the space we've chosen for our coop and side of the run, coop on the outside would eat up a bit of space, so debating putting it inside. Would love to see yours if you've done this!

The main thing I'm uncertain on is best way to do access to the coop from the outside of the run. If I have the coop flush with the side of the run and build around it, that'd give me the main coop door access so I don't have to enter the run to access them or clean. I don't care about the nest box access from in or out, we have very few layers.

Here! My big red one is my main one. I use Premier 1 chicken fence. the small one is for silkies and I do not electrify it because
Silkie coop.JPG
it is inside the electrified fence.
Coop.JPG

A coop inside the run reduces the square footage of the run.
In this case it doesn't. The coop I've built is 5x6, and the allotted run space is 14x20. If I put them against each other, I'll need 3 or 4 feet behind the door of the coop for access to clean since it's against a fence, plus the 6 feet of the coop itself. Putting inside the run means it could, at the least, be 30sqft smaller (size of the coop); more if I keep the distance from the fence. Putting outside the run I'd be losing 3 to 4*14 = between 42 and 56sqft of the space for distance to access the door + 6*14 = 84sqft for the width of the coop times width of run. Unless I made an odd shaped run.

Last summer I had 3 coops inside a giant run made from 100 feet of electric netting.

It's not optimal, because the coop eats run space, but it did allow me to use non-secure facilities for broody-breaking and integration.View attachment 2967915View attachment 2967916View attachment 2967917View attachment 2967918
This is great! It's similar to the set up we have now. Built our original coop with an attached run with the minimum sqft per bird, of course ended up expanding it out but it's more of temporary fencing like you have. We have tons of predators in the area so I'm planning to make this new one fully secure so I don't have to check on them religiously. Electric netting is smart.

Back
Top Bottom