Anyone having Christmas chicken photos done?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by reveriereptile, Nov 30, 2012.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I was curious if anyone this year was taking their chickens in for pet photos. I'd love to hear some of your stories about the reactions of other people or even see some of the pictures.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I hope to make some holiday baby pics myself...Missed them last year as I was out of state at a Medical hospital...But hubby was a doll baby and send me some to the hospital, but not under a tree, on a tree, or dressed up ,....You get the idea. But those pics kept me well occupied and not quite as sad to miss the birds of the baby chicks, goats and dog! while I was away and couldn't see them in person. So I say go for it!

And have a great day!

3. kelljo

kelljo New Egg

Sep 18, 2009
    Bentley Kansas
    [​IMG]

I took my rooster Duke to have his picture taken with Santa Claus last year, we went to the Mall on Pet day. The looks we got were great. Duke is a Red Star Rooster, and he is about 10 lbs, but of course he looks much bigger when you're not expecting a chicken!

The other people in the mall were shocked at first, then they wanted to pet him. Duke is great with people, he stands right beside me on a towel (for those chicken accidents that might happen) and I have a light leash around his leg. People can pet him, and they love to feel his comb and wattles and beak. Duke is very calm and doesn't mind this. I get tickled at how many people want their children to have the chance to "pet" a "real live chicken." I always answer questions, yes, he does live on a farm. yes he does eat treats, bread is is favorite. yes, he does like to be petted.... I try to stay positive and happy and light hearted, if I didn't want to be this way, I wouldn't walk out in public with a chicken!

Duke honestly seems to like the attention. Santa wasn't as thrilled, but when I explained that I wanted to make sure that he was completly protected with the towel, he was much more relaxed. I love the pictures of Santa and Duke. Santa looks so put out and Duke is lying on his side on the man's belly.

I had these pictures taken to send to a friend of mine who thinks I'm the crazy chicken lady. I put one in his christmas card and wrote a nice note! It was the biggest laugh I've had in a while.

Duke and I took grand prize this year at a costume party for pets at a local farm show. He went as a bucket of Kentucy Fried Chicken, and I was dressed as Col. Sanders. He won about $50. in prizes!

4. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I took my own over thanksgiving. It will be going on our cards.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by