anyone here own riding mules/donkeys

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Barred Rocks forever, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    gurooh reminded me of how ive always wanted a big riding mule or donkey so i figure i might as well post this if this thread gets popular it will turn into the offical byc donkey and mule thread so post pics and info

2. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I had a mule for a couple of years. You could ride him or he would pull a buggy.
    Put him in a local parade at Christmas time.
    Loved to here him bray, he attached to the horses like a mother hen.
    He killed several wild animals in the pasture. Tried to kill both of the dogs.
    I had to fix the fence to keep the dogs out of the pasture.
    He would sneak up on them and stomp on their head.
    I miss riding him but not the attacks on the dogs or cats.

3. stallionhawk

stallionhawk Out Of The Brooder

I have two mini donkey jacks. They are adorable, they are both trained to pull a cart, and I can give kids pony rides on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I have a riding mule, her name is Doodlebug. She is around 14 hands. I LOVE mules. My bedroom is decorated in Harness, collars, bridles and bits. Books, statues and every thing Mule I can get my hands on. Big picture of a team. A small pic of mules turning the sugarcane mill. I have a mule decal on my truck window and a bumper sticker that says HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR MULE TODAY? Does that count? [​IMG]

micah

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I've had three donkeys, first two were from the BLM, their names were Gus and Woody, don't have any pics of them on my computer. Then I also had Hank,
    [​IMG]
    He was fun, I considered cart training him, but didn't end up doing much w/ him (other then the basics, he was pretty much unhandled when I got him). I let my mom let a 'friend' borrow him, and they apparently gave him away, still pretty mad over that one.

I've also had three mules, the first was a pony sized mule named Radar a neighbor gave me, he was really cute! I gave him to a little boy that needed something to ride. No pics of him on the computer either.

Hank sired two mule foals, Canya and Joker, traded Joker for training on Canya, and recently sold her. She was a pretty great mule! My nephew started out riding her and really liked her, but his mom wouldn't let him have her. My sister rode her for awhile, but said she'd prefer a horse and I told her I'd sell the mule and let her buy a horse.

I would have loved to keep her, considered training her for the cart to, but I just couldn't afford the extra mouth and already have my own horse. So she went to a really good 'mule' guy, it was clear right away she liked him, which is big considering she's a mule and just met him!
    Here are pics of Joker and Canya,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by