Anyone, I have a big concern with my hatch !

Sheridan89

Chirping
Aug 6, 2021
Western New York
My this is my first hatch and they were due yesterday- day 21. None pipped or were showing any movement- so I quickly candled and they were all moving viable babies still. So back in lockdown they went. Today one pipped at 1:30pm- well I’ve been checking on it and it’s peeping, moving. Well I just went to check on them all and a second egg finally pipped and the first one has a good size hole started and I was watching his little beak moving through the glass of the bator and he moved and a spit of bright red blood shot out of the hole! I’ve studied and read everything before going into this and never once came across anything about blood like that- unless people help them prematurely. It’s still peeping like crazy and the blood seems to have stopped but I’m not sure if that’s normal- if not is there anything I can do?? I’m a nurse and not much scares me anymore- but these last 22 days have been torture lol. If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it!! Thank you!!!

I’ve never had anything like that happen but if it seems to have stopped bleeding and the chick is still moving it may be just fine. Possibly it just hit a vein not fully absorbed yet. Lockdown is so hard! Just sit on your hands and watch the show, good luck with your hatch.

My this is my first hatch and they were due yesterday- day 21. None pipped or were showing any movement- so I quickly candled and they were all moving viable babies still. So back in lockdown they went. Today one pipped at 1:30pm- well I’ve been checking on it and it’s peeping, moving. Well I just went to check on them all and a second egg finally pipped and the first one has a good size hole started and I was watching his little beak moving through the glass of the bator and he moved and a spit of bright red blood shot out of the hole! I’ve studied and read everything before going into this and never once came across anything about blood like that- unless people help them prematurely. It’s still peeping like crazy and the blood seems to have stopped but I’m not sure if that’s normal- if not is there anything I can do?? I’m a nurse and not much scares me anymore- but these last 22 days have been torture lol. If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it!! Thank you!!!
Sometimes if they are not positioned correctly they can hit a vein themselves while pipping. There's Not really anything you can do about it.

I would leave it alone. Keep the bator closed, you will lose humidity every time you open it.
Walk away. Go get something to drink, eat, leave it alone. Sit on your hands. Stop watching.
It is nerve racking, but seriously. Wait. Wait and wait some more.
Let them do their thing.

I don't incubate anymore - I let a broody do it. MUCH MUCH less stress on me. I have a couple of good broodies. I do count the days but leave those Mamas alone for the most part - you go out there and they have little fluffers. Love it! Try a broody, you'll never regret it.

You may have counted days wrong too. I've done that. The first 24 hrs is day 0. Go figure, it really is.

The chick may have hit a vein but the last thing you want to do is help it.... I recently lost a chick because of trying to help it.... Keep the incubator close as it may affect the other eggs. And don't worry some chicks hatch late. 🌞🌞

I’ve never had anything like that happen but if it seems to have stopped bleeding and the chick is still moving it may be just fine. Possibly it just hit a vein not fully absorbed yet. Lockdown is so hard! Just sit on your hands and watch the show, good luck with your hatch.
Ugh it is super hard, I have been impatiently waiting for this, and when I seen that my heart sank. So far

UPDATE! I sat on my hands and let nature do its thing and I heard peeping and clunking- I looked in the bator and the little one made his appearance, and is very lively and seems very healthy! Thank you everyone for your replies. He’s is currently knocking all the other eggs around trying to get his balance to walk… hopfully that’s okay🤷🏻‍♀️. I’ll attach pictures of what the egg looked like when the bleeding occurred, and of course a picture of my very first baby!! I am a Proud first time chicken hatching mama☺️

Attachments

• 4811E898-31BB-46A9-BADD-1EAE07AF7D52.png
    4811E898-31BB-46A9-BADD-1EAE07AF7D52.png
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 309EA25B-84E2-40C0-8363-26903D5C3A3E.jpeg
    309EA25B-84E2-40C0-8363-26903D5C3A3E.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 12
UPDATE! I sat on my hands and let nature do its thing and I heard peeping and clunking- I looked in the bator and the little one made his appearance, and is very lively and seems very healthy! Thank you everyone for your replies. He’s is currently knocking all the other eggs around trying to get his balance to walk… hopfully that’s okay🤷🏻‍♀️. I’ll attach pictures of what the egg looked like when the bleeding occurred, and of course a picture of my very first baby!! I am a Proud first time chicken hatching mama☺️
Congratulations💜🍕

Congratulations!
It's hard waiting it out.

Yes, it's ok for them to do some egg bowling in the bator. Gets those that are going to hatch motivated to keep going it seems.

Hoping all is well and you got some sleep!

Back
Top Bottom