Anyone in Maine have top hat chicks or silkies 4sale ?

I would love an all white silkie. Do you have pics to share? I've never seen silkies at tractor supply so I will have to keep my eyes open.
Ok, here's some pictures of them:

Romaine:
IMG_5302.JPG

Benz:
IMG_5155.JPG

Rosemary:
IMG_5233.JPG

Beemer:
IMG_3964.JPG

Basil:
IMG_5157.JPG

Lucky:
IMG_6007.JPG

Guapo:
IMG_6047.JPG

One thing I've seen of the TSC Silkies, is that they don't look pure. I think that they are bigger than the standard Silkie, and my roosters didn't have feathers on their legs. Also, the roosters only had a fifth toe on one foot, not both. Here's a picture of that: (The foot on the left has the extra toe)
IMG_5179.JPG

If you're looking for pure, show-quality Silkies, I don't suggest getting them from TSC, but if you're just looking for some white Silkies for your own enjoyment and uniqueness, by all means, go TSC. People over here on BYC call them TSC Silkies, instead of Silkie mixes, because we get them from TSC and are seen as Silkies. I was told by TSC that mine were bantams, but having bantams and knowing Silkies, Silkies are bigger than bantams, so I knew that they were Silkies. :)

Romaine:
View attachment 2503397
Benz:
View attachment 2503396
Rosemary:
View attachment 2503399
Beemer:
View attachment 2503408
Basil:
View attachment 2503412
Lucky:
View attachment 2503425
Guapo:
View attachment 2503426

One thing I've seen of the TSC Silkies, is that they don't look pure. I think that they are bigger than the standard Silkie, and my roosters didn't have feathers on their legs. Also, the roosters only had a fifth toe on one foot, not both. Here's a picture of that: (The foot on the left has the extra toe)
View attachment 2503428

If you're looking for pure, show-quality Silkies, I don't suggest getting them from TSC, but if you're just looking for some white Silkies for your own enjoyment and uniqueness, by all means, go TSC. People over here on BYC call them TSC Silkies, instead of Silkie mixes, because we get them from TSC and are seen as Silkies. I was told by TSC that mine were bantams, but having bantams and knowing Silkies, Silkies are bigger than bantams, so I knew that they were Silkies. :)
Interesting. Well I am new to the farm world. I just got into livestock n poultry about 3 yr ago. I have 6 mini goats, some chickens and silkies, some call ducks a pure white dove and 2 dogs. I'm self taught from reading and sites like these. I look forward to learning so much. Somethings are by the seat of pants lol don't really know, but handle it as if it were a child vs animal. I just say Luck has been on my side. Your white silkies were beautiful. I am not into show. All pets. I don't even know what size a normal silkie should be. The place I got them, had huge silkies. What part of the state are you in ? I'm in the Bangor area.

Romaine:
View attachment 2503397
Benz:
View attachment 2503396
Rosemary:
View attachment 2503399
Beemer:
View attachment 2503408
Basil:
View attachment 2503412
Lucky:
View attachment 2503425
Guapo:
View attachment 2503426

View attachment 2503428

Anything special I should know about silkies ? I do trim around the eyes so they can see better, and I make sure to remove any ice balls from feet.

Interesting. Well I am new to the farm world. I just got into livestock n poultry about 3 yr ago. I have 6 mini goats, some chickens and silkies, some call ducks a pure white dove and 2 dogs. I'm self taught from reading and sites like these. I look forward to learning so much. Somethings are by the seat of pants lol don't really know, but handle it as if it were a child vs animal. I just say Luck has been on my side. Your white silkies were beautiful. I am not into show. All pets. I don't even know what size a normal silkie should be. The place I got them, had huge silkies. What part of the state are you in ? I'm in the Bangor area.
Cool! I'm self-taught too! And same with the reading of books and sites like this. I currently have 6 hens: Aundria the Blue Rock, Princess the Buff Brahma, Penny the Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Maisy the Cuckoo Maran, Rocky the Golden Comet, and Jewels the Speckled Sussex. I've been into farming since 2011. I've had chickens: Standard and Bantam, geese, ducks, guinea fowl, turkeys, goats and rabbits. (The stray cats probably doesn't count.) Currently I only have six hens though. I live about 30-45 minutes from Augusta. Kinda in between Augusta and Farmington.

Anything special I should know about silkies ? I do trim around the eyes so they can see better, and I make sure to remove any ice balls from feet.
Well, how you have them, you probably already know this, their feathers don't barb, so that causes them to have fur-like feathers which is soo soft. :love I sometimes would give mine baths, though because they were TSC Silkies, and I wasn't showing them, it probably wasn't very necessary. I also would brush them with this thing that looked like a big toothbrush. I heard that a cat brush would work too. I liked to brush them, so again, it probably wasn't necessary. I didn't trim my TSC Silkies tuffs due to that not really necessary. And they didn't have lots of feathers on their legs, so I didn't need to remove ice balls from their feet. Now that I think about it, the TSC Silkies is a Silkie that isn't high maintenance. So they're easier to take care of. One thing, hearing this from someone who had true Silkies, they're more prone to predators. They can't see well and aren't too good at being alert. They are easy prey compared to your average chicken like a Red Star, or Barred Rock. You probably already see this too, they're not very good flyers. My Basil was the most of a flyer that I got, which wasn't very good, and that was due to her trying to be like Pearl, who was her best friend who was a Barred Rock.

Well, how you have them, you probably already know this, their feathers don't barb, so that causes them to have fur-like feathers which is soo soft. :love I sometimes would give mine baths, though because they were TSC Silkies, and I wasn't showing them, it probably wasn't very necessary. I also would brush them with this thing that looked like a big toothbrush. I heard that a cat brush would work too. I liked to brush them, so again, it probably wasn't necessary. I didn't trim my TSC Silkies tuffs due to that not really necessary. And they didn't have lots of feathers on their legs, so I didn't need to remove ice balls from their feet. Now that I think about it, the TSC Silkies is a Silkie that isn't high maintenance. So they're easier to take care of. One thing, hearing this from someone who had true Silkies, they're more prone to predators. They can't see well and aren't too good at being alert. They are easy prey compared to your average chicken like a Red Star, or Barred Rock. You probably already see this too, they're not very good flyers. My Basil was the most of a flyer that I got, which wasn't very good, and that was due to her trying to be like Pearl, who was her best friend who was a Barred Rock.
Yes they have very furry feet, and yes it is true they don't see well, as to why I trim them. They can not fly. They can hop kinda. They are easy pray, not the sharpest tool in the shed by any means lol. Again so I keep them trimmed to see better and the rest of the flock are regular chickens and very alert. I have great roosters. Everyone has there own group but they also mingle well. I have 4 roosters and 8 hens, and they all know the order.

Back
Top Bottom