Anyone in NH/MA/VT have extra eggs or birds that want to live in Boston?

I think this is a great idea! I could go on your egg list as my girls are laying like crazy. Of course I am at their mercy so that could change at anytime, but would love to help out. I have 2 broody Hens sitting on eggs, could raise them until I can sex them. Maybe some people would be interested in started pullets? My chickens do free range so they would be crosses, but none the less pretty and good layers. I do have a brinsea incubator as well that is awesome at hatches. Certainly keep me in mind :D

Edited to add: I am NPIP certified as well

Last edited:
I'm really new here, so please excuse me if I've misinterpreted what you are doing. We are just getting ready to have our first chickens ever, which we are getting just for their eggs - not for meat. I only want 3 or 4 hens, but I've just learned from our local feed store that in MA you have to order at least 6 chicks. I don't want 6, and don't know anyone to whom I could give them. Could I get just 3 or 4 female chicks from you? Or, if I order the 6, could you take the extra 2 or 3 and find a home for them? I'm thinking of either Rhode Island reds, or Barred Plymouth Rocks, or both. Hens only.

We are in Marshfield, south of Boston, but I 'd be willing to travel a bit to either buy the chicks or give our extras away.

It sounds like you've hit on a really good idea! I wish the best of luck!!!

NancyB

Hi Nancy!

Welcome to BYC! You haven't misinterpreted my intentions at all... In fact, you are in exactly the type of situation that sparked this idea! :)

Yes, I can absolutely help you with either of those options: either find you a few chicks of the breeds you're looking for (or let you know what I currently have available and you can pick from those), or find good homes for your extra chicks with other folks in the area.

Let's talk more about the details... you can email me at (no spaces) Eco Conscience *dot* me *at* gmail *dot* com

Specifically, I'd like to know when you are hoping to get them and what qualities you're looking for in a bird. :D

Cheers!
~Khrysti~

I think this is a great idea! I could go on your egg list as my girls are laying like crazy. Of course I am at their mercy so that could change at anytime, but would love to help out. I have 2 broody Hens sitting on eggs, could raise them until I can sex them. Maybe some people would be interested in started pullets? My chickens do free range so they would be crosses, but none the less pretty and good layers. I do have a brinsea incubator as well that is awesome at hatches. Certainly keep me in mind
big_smile.png

Edited to add: I am NPIP certified as well

Hi Natalie!
Thank you so much for your response! People will DEFINITELY be interested in started pullets, and you're absolutely correct that "pretty and good layers" are the essential qualities folks are looking for. :)

I haven't had enough response regarding extra eggs to make that part of the plan worthwhile on a large scale, though I'd certainly be willing to buy extra eggs from you if it works out for us to meet up at an upcoming event (or if I'm headed out that way to pick up birds, etc). I'm doing 3 different festivals with a couple of my birds this weekend so I'm not going to make it to Westford on Sunday, but I will definitely be at Shay's in Townsend on the 19th. I'll be doing some more coordinating in the next few weeks, so I'll be in touch.

Thank you!
~Khrysti~

I think this is a wonderful idea. It has the postential for great rewards, helping people get into chickens, and I'm sure a few pitfalls.

I like to hatch eggs, but need to stop when the customers dry up. I'm a home body and getting swaps is not my favorite thing when soccer and swaps compete for my time. I could see the benefit of breeding an hatching sexlinks to help people get the pullets they are most likely to want, and then others may want the cockerels.

At his point I have more eggs than I can sell. $4 per carton doesn't cover my costs by a long shot yet few people are willing to pay that. I wish they could taste how yummy the eggs are and how nutritious eggs from free range grass eating hens can be. I have many colors to make the egg basket fun, and these are some that I have bred from parent stock, like olive eggers. I have so many fun colors: off white, pink, lt tans, brick reds, cinnamons, pale olive, dark olive, blues, and greens. I need buyers to support my chicken and egg addiction.

PS I love the buff orpington and breed them because of the easy temperament and p leasing color. I have other breeds as well.

Last edited:
I think this is a wonderful idea. It has the postential for great rewards, helping people get into chickens, and I'm sure a few pitfalls.

I like to hatch eggs, but need to stop when the customers dry up. I'm a home body and getting swaps is not my favorite thing when soccer and swaps compete for my time. I could see the benefit of breeding an hatching sexlinks to help people get the pullets they are most likely to want, and then others may want the cockerels.

At his point I have more eggs than I can sell. $4 per carton doesn't cover my costs by a long shot yet few people are willing to pay that. I wish they could taste how yummy the eggs are and how nutritious eggs from free range grass eating hens can be. I have many colors to make the egg basket fun, and these are some that I have bred from parent stock, like olive eggers. I have so many fun colors: off white, pink, lt tans, brick reds, cinnamons, pale olive, dark olive, blues, and greens. I need buyers to support my chicken and egg addiction.

PS I love the buff orpington and breed them because of the easy temperament and p leasing color. I have other breeds as well.

Hi Arielle!

I hear ya. It seems that the egg selling part of this isn't going to pan out, but as business grows I will definitely be looking for more pullets for my clients, so certainly let me know if you have extras that need homes! Breeds that lay well are very popular and certainly ones that lay different-colored eggs are an easy sell too. :D

Hey folks!

This business is growing into something substantial, so stay tuned for a couple of major updates soon!

In the meantime, I have a client who recently lost a young pullet to a raccoon and is looking for a replacement. Does anyone have any POL pullets within an hour or two of Boston? The one he lost was an australorp, and he's definitely looking for a breed that is a good layer, relatively docile, and not too large (wyandotte, barred rocks, etc...).

Thank you!
~Khrysti~

I'll have some Faverolles pullets available. Right now they range in age from 2-4 months old. May also have a few year old hens too - gotta decide if I need to downsize a little more.

I also have a couple of mixed breed pullets 4 months old.

I'll be at Westford on Sept 9 for the NAS meeting/sale.

Two questions:

1) Is this thread a reliable way to let you all know when I'm looking for birds for my clients? If so, great! That would definitely be easiest for me, and would leave it open for a broader audience...

If it's not the best way for you, email works better than PMs for me, so if you could send me an email at TheChickeness at gmail I'll put you on my list of chicken breeders/suppliers to contact. Thanks!

2) I have a new client who is looking for four 3-month-old layers. Anyone have a few younger laying pullets within an hour or so of Somerville that I could pick up within the next few weeks? He's planning to put them straight outside, so if they've already been outside for a bit that would be ideal (rather than still be in a brooder or pen inside).

Thanks!

~Khrysti~

Hi,

I keep this thread on my fav list, just in case you post.

I have a few pullets living outside since midsummer. Loosing track of age-3-4 months old, one boys thinks about crowing, then stops. lol

I have a group of 2 month olds, not sure of gender as they are mixed; broody hen showed up one day with 13 chicks in tow. A little more flighty than the older birds. All good layer stock.

Back
Top Bottom