Anyone in the Caldwell NJ area? Rescue needed.

veronicasmom

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Was down there visiting and was in the local park. At the pond were some ducks. Obviously two of the them had been dumped there. A beautiful black and white duck and an all black duck. Actually not sure if they were ducks, or drakes or a combo, but one has either angel wing or a broken wing.
I was leaving for the airport a few hours after that to come back to ME. So, really could not do anything.
I was hoping someone in that area could check it out and maybe rescue them. Also, maybe contact the parks dept and ask if signs could be put up asking people not to feed the ducks bread.
I know this is a long shot, but I hoped maybe someone could help..........it was so upsetting to me. Probably Easter ducks that got dumped there. I might have enlisted some friends to help me catch them had I driven down, but I flew and obviously could not take them back on the plane! My friends think I am nuts to be so upset about them, but they are haunting me now that I am home............................

I am no where close, otherwise I would. Your concern is definitely warranted. Once I was visiting a park in Maryland and came across a whole flock of semi-wild ducks. I say semi-wild because a portion of the flock was not wild. It was clear that they too, were dumped Easter chicks who had found solidarity with the wild birds. I'm in no way suggesting that "park" life is any kind of quality of life for domestic ducks. Because I am not. However, I was shocked how well they had adapted with the other ducks. They were simply part of the flock and behaved exactly like the others.

I am checking with a friend who may live very close to Caldwell and can intercept them for me. Can you tell me anything more about the park? Do you know the name of it? Where it's located? Is it a huge state park, or a small neighborhood type park?

The park is Grover Cleveland Park on Brookside Ave in Caldwell. It is not a large park. Finding the pond is very easy. If you park on Brookside, and walk along the path that is parallel to the road, you will find the pond. It is very small. I believe it would be considered a county park, or as you described a small neighborhood park. We were there around noon or 1pm and the ducks were on the bank on the opposite side from the road.
These were definitely not wild ducks. And any educational signs for duck feeding would be great. I saw a guy there with a HUGE bag of bread, just throwing handfuls into the brook for the ducks. Ugh. I know they don't know better, but it makes me nuts to see that.
Thank you so very much for trying to help out. It was very frustrating to have to walk away and leave them there. I am sure there are a few other domestic ducks there with the mallards and Canada geese, but these two stood out.
Please let me know how this works out, I will be so grateful if these ducks could get some help.

fl.gif

OK. My friend lives about 15-20 minutes from Caldwell (I am about an hour from there). Ironically, I will be passing through that area today on my way to a graduation party. I am going to ask her to "scope out the scene" and if she can find these little guys, I will do my best to help them. If I can coax them to me I will, but at the very least, I will try to find a "local" and have them spread the word about feeding/not feeding, etc. No promises, but I will do my best. I will snap a few pictures if I can! Wish me luck
frow.gif

OH THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I am really hoping this has a good outcome. But whatever, thank you so very much for attempting to help them. I will be anxiously waiting for an update.

Guessing this didn't work out :( I wish I was still down there and could have figured out something to do.........

Back
Top Bottom