Anyone in the Denver Metro area who can teach me?

bkbuz1987

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Hi, I am very new to this and I have a few birds that I want to process. I have never killed anything but am very aware that my chicken dinner was once alive.

Is there anyone in the Denver Metro area who can teach me how to cull and process chickens? I'm a hands on kind of learner. We can come to you.

Thanks!

I personally am to far away but for a great guide there is this. http://butcherachicken.blogspot.com/
I
use a 4 inch boning knife ($10) and a good knife sharpener. I make a cone from some aluminum sheeteing that was designed for some type of flashing for roofing. Once you hold the bird upside down it compleatly relaxes and then I tie to with it's head through the cone almost up to it's shoulders. Grab the comb and pull back and cut through each side of the neck letting it bleed out. It may try to flap a bit but very miniamally before it's at rest. Then it's dunk and pluck and I have a large wooden block for butchering along with a hose and sprinkler, some kitchen towel and 3 coolers, one for the bird with ice water in, one for the stock goodies (feet, heart and neck) and one for the scraps that get buried. My only additional advice is when loosening the crop spend a few minutes more loosening the connective membranes from the neck to the cavity, when you come to scoop the insides out it reduces the resistance and therefore lessens the risk of damaging the bile duct. Other than that I do exactly what it says on the link and found it painless and relatively quick. I also hand pluck because I have a neighbor who enjoys it!

bumpy ride back to the top
lol.png

I know of a usda processor that is about an hour north of Denver, if you don't have any luck. Or if you decide you don't want to do it. I thought it was a real pain, so was glad to find someone. Kudos to those who make the effort. <br>

The last straw for me was when the wind kicked up halfway through, as it does here in Colorado. Feathers everywhere. I invented a string of new potty words that day. So, if you do venture into processing, I would make sure you have some shelter!
big_smile.png
duc.gif

Hi,

Where is the processor that you know of? I found one in Nunn, but that's a bit far for a single bird. Is that the one you know of, or do you know of another? I live in Loveland and have a rooster that must go on to the table. I too, know where my food comes from, but I don't think that I can do it. I would like to keep his feathers, though. I tie flys and he has beautiful feathers.

Thanks for any info you can give!

Hello! I found this super old thread and wondering if (several years later) that usda processor might still be around. I have a couple two year old hens who aren't good layers. I'd like to replace them in the spring, but don't have the right situation (cranky neighbors and no equipment) to cull them myself.

Anybody know of anybody that will do this around Denver? I'm willing to drive!

Back
Top Bottom