Anyone keep a rooster only flock?

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
I'm considering adding a second coop to keep just my roosters in. We love them and don't want them to go into somebody's soup pot. Just wondering what to expect when keeping a run full of roosters? Thanks. :)

If they grew up together they may be fine. Though be ready if they start fighting, some will, most won't. Also don't be surprised if you see some rooster on rooster breeding.

All roosters are different. You won't know until you try. I've kept bunches together over the years. Last year was the first time one tried to kill another, the aggressor was butchered, and one was separated out, and two are still together and getting along.

If they grew up together they may be fine. Though be ready if they start fighting, some will, most won't. Also don't be surprised if you see some rooster on rooster breeding.

All roosters are different. You won't know until you try. I've kept bunches together over the years. Last year was the first time one tried to kill another, the aggressor was butchered, and one was separated out, and two are still together and getting along.

Thanks for the info. I have 2 polish roosters in my bantam flick who live together successfully. I have 2 seperate runs for the start of my breeder flocks and then my personal flock. I've had success at keeping multiple roosters in my runs but I still have like 8 roosters left. They are the ones I would like to keep in their own pen until we find homes or forever I guess. Of coarse the situation is not ideal but I just can't hand them over for food.... :(

Thanks for the info. I have 2 polish roosters in my bantam flick who live together successfully. I have 2 seperate runs for the start of my breeder flocks and then my personal flock. I've had success at keeping multiple roosters in my runs but I still have like 8 roosters left. They are the ones I would like to keep in their own pen until we find homes or forever I guess. Of coarse the situation is not ideal but I just can't hand them over for food.... :(
I would see how it goes. I don't like butchering either, sometimes it's necessary, but mostly I try to keep them all and have had luck keeping clutch mates together. I will be doing it again with this years batch. I only had troubles last year with a bantam buff Brahma, he was a bit aggressive after being penned with some bantam cochins and I chose to cull him instead of separate housing.

I would see how it goes. I don't like butchering either, sometimes it's necessary, but mostly I try to keep them all and have had luck keeping clutch mates together. I will be doing it again with this years batch. I only had troubles last year with a bantam buff Brahma, he was a bit aggressive after being penned with some bantam cochins and I chose to cull him instead of separate housing.

That's understandable. I wouldn't want an agressive bird. I've been lucky so far. We are vegetarian but even if we weren't I don't think we could eat our roosters lol. We are all softys except my husband. I'm pretty sure he could eat whatever if I let him hahaha..

Last edited:
That's funny, I'm a vegetarian too, but my husband is all carnivore, so at least they are put to good use.

That's funny, I'm a vegetarian too, but my husband is all carnivore, so at least they are put to good use.

Lol that is funny. Vegetarians are a scarce commodity here lol my husband would choose meat too if he could but I do the grocery shopping and all the cooking lol. When we go out he almost always eats meat though. I had gestational diabetes in my last 3 pregnancys so it was also a good decision for my health. :)

Back
Top Bottom