Anyone know a poultry processor around Sac, CA?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by simplyscrambled, May 11, 2009.

1. simplyscrambled

simplyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I checked craigslist, I googled, I tried the yellow pages. No luck. [​IMG]

I've never eaten any chicken besides the one packaged in plastic at the grocery store. I'm hatching a number of eggs, and the roos I can't sell, I thought I'd get them processed and see if I could tell the difference.

Thanks!

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Maybe try a butcher shop.. I know there is a couple in Sac... not sure if they process them but it might be worth a try. Also maybe post on craigslist in the farm and garden section.. maybe someone there will know . And if you find one... please post it here [​IMG]

Nancy

3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I'm in Placerville and would like to know also. We did 23 ourselves in February and just processed 6 this past weekend. We're processing the remaining 16 this coming weekend. We have a few friends who are coming to learn how to process the birds... LOL, nothing like hands-on experience for them and free help for us!

4. simplyscrambled

simplyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I asked a co-worker who grew up processing birds and has a small farm outside of town, and she offered to do the deed with me when they're ready! [​IMG] So...I'm wondering if I have what it takes [​IMG]

She also mentioned a Hmong woman in West Sac that processes chickens, but has a min. of 25 birds at a time.

At this point, I don't even have the eggs! And I'm not raising meat birds, they'd be the left over roos, and I'll probably be handling them a lot when they're small, because the objective is primarily hens to lay eggs for the school coop (tamer the better!) and 3 as 'pets' for me!

Oui vey.

I'm thinking that I may not be quite up to it this year, but maybe next I can hatch some meat birds, and treat those different from Day 1, and that would make a big difference, mentally!

BUT, still, if anyone knows someone, I'd still like to find someone to do even one bird, so I can see what it tastes like, if I do end up with one that ends up for the table!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by