1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know about frozen eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happychickengirls, Mar 3, 2011.

1. happychickengirls

happychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Well it is winter out here and I have found a few frozen eggs from time to time in my egg boxes
    when it has been real cold. Now my question is is it safe to eat them if they are frozen???
    If you bring them in and defrost them are they still okay?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    If the egg is just frozen, it's fine. I put it in the carton with the rest. If it's cracked but the inner membrane isn't broken, I cook it up and eat it that day. If the inner membrane is broken, I cook it up and feed it to the dog or the chickens. I always make sure the cracked eggs I eat are thoroughly cooked, or use them for baking. Eggs can be frozen for later use. There is a bit of textural difference in the white, but the egg is fine to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by