anyone know how to can sausage?

cackle

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
North Carolina
I am trying to clear last years meat out of the freezer and have some wild boar sausage I would like to can. Anyone have a recipe for doing this?

hu.gif
thats a new one i hadn't heard of!

The Ball Blue book says:

Pork Sausage
Use freshly made sausage. Season sausage with salt, black and cayenne pepper. A small amount of thyme, oregano or basil may be added. It is better not to use sage as it may become bitter. Make sausage into cakes or patties. Cook until lightly browned. Pack hot sausage into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Broth may be added; however, enough fat and juices from making its own broth will cook out of the sausage during processing. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

HTH

Kathy

If it were me... and you just Got To Have the freezer space....I'd leave it frozen unless the packaging is starting to break down.

That said, if you Just Must Can it.... thaw it completely, then cook as if fresh, according to the directions from the canning book.

Remember, even canning it, it will still have a definite Shelf Life, and must either be used by that point, or thrown out. I'm not up on all that, so you'll have to ask some of the "seasoned veterans" around here about that.

You also have the option of cooking it thoroughly, then re-freezing it. I often precook sausage and bacon in large batches, freeze on cookie sheets, then bag. When we need some for a breakfast, we just take out what we want, no waste, and no leftovers.

Best of Luck, and let me know how it turns out,
Kathy

P.S. - You can send a few jars of sausage my way.... Hubby would LOVE to have some....
big_smile.png

Quote:
I need the freezer room before deer season. That is why I want to get it out.

That is actually really a good idea. To thaw and cook and refreeze on cookie sheets. Here is the thing it is Boar sausage and it stinks and I don't eat it but he loves it. I could cook up a batch and send it to deer camp. Maybe he will take the boar chops and then they would be out of here.

Kathy if you were closer I would give you some.

When I do cook it, it is outside on the grill. So I could do that this weekend. Get it out of the way.

Susan

Yep! Send it to Deer Camp! THEY caught it, they can eat it to their Little Heart's Desire.

Make up a BIG batch of biscuits, some white gravy, the sausage patties, and there's one brunch. All they got to do is crumble the sausage into the gravy, warm it up on the stove, and Voila! SOS!

I'd trade it off to someone else who's growing/raising something I want to eat. Bartering at it's best!

Also, you could try simmering the Boar Sausage in BEER.... helps cut some of the stink, and supposed to gentle out the flavor some. Haven't tried it, but that's what I've been told. Same thing for the chops. or soak them in buttermilk, just like you do deer meat or bear. Of Course, most guys at Deer Camp will cook ANYTHING in beer if given half a chance! Oh Wait! They might consider that wasting good beer.... Oh well.

Next time someone makes sausage, or after you have some of this thawed, try cutting it with a very mild meat, i.e. ground turkey. I did it with some deer sausage that didn't "come out right". It did help tone it down. Around here, they mix it with fat from a ham saved for the purpose.

Or take and mix it with ground beef or turkey 50/50, and scramble it up for pizza / speghetti topping. You might need to add some more spices, depending on how it was originally done.

Kathy

Mamadragon,

More great suggestions. I am working on stocking my pantry and freezer with ready to heat and eat foods. I am worried that the boar suasage will get freezer burned because it has been around a while. I could cut it with mild Italian sausage and make a large batch of spaghetti sauce for the freezer. May have to pull out the food saver. I am out of containers. And I tried canning spaghetti sauce but it was bland when I heated it up.

When I say deer camp it is an old office that was set inside a big metal barn. The guy who owns the place won't let them cook bacon inside so I am SURE he would be quite upset at the smell of the boar meat cooking.

We don't make sausage with our venison. Last time we did it was horrible and I fed it to the dogs. So we now just have them leave that as ground.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi!

Have you heard of the "Once A Month Cooking" plan? It's just what it says - cooking one weekend a month, freeze & heat when you want it. There's several books about it, as well as gazillions of recipes on the Net for it. I've tried some of the recipes, they're not bad. google OAMC recipes.

Go buy a microwave at a yard sale for the guys? The owner is probably worried sick that the guys would burn the barn down....Been there, Done that! No Fun!!

I'll try to get the sausage recipe my friends use..... I truly couldn't tell much difference between the deer sausage they made, and the pork sausage from the store. That may not be saying much for those who make their own.

Did your spaghetti sauce taste the way you like it BEFORE you canned it? Every time I've put up sauces, the flavor intensifies, so I'm at a loss on that one.

Correcting the spices when it's too mild is alot easier than if it is OverSpiced! Just open one of those dry-mix packets and add to original sauce 1/2 teaspoon at a time until it's to your liking. Still done in less than 15 minutes, which isn't any longer than boiling the water and cooking the noodles anyway.

If you don't want to use one of those mixes, you can soak a teaspoon of the dried Italian Seasoning blend dried herbs in a tablespoon of Hot Water, and add that and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes. Taste and continue adjusting until it's the way you like it.

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom