Anyone know how to determine the gender of juvenile peafowl?

Book Em Danno25

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Hey everyone! I have some juvenile peafowl I am looking to sell but the people interested want to know the gender of the bird first. It's really hard to get up close to the birds without them fleeing, but I managed to get a couple of pictures.

If anyone can identify the gender of the birds please let me know, or if you know some tips on how to find out, please let me know.

14022107_1771024516515341_1916566340419076337_n.jpg

14063941_1771084479842678_4802520003791846924_n.jpg

Hello there!
welcome-byc.gif
, well the Peafowl Department at least - you are clearly a busy BYCer!

I'm going to say that we'll probably need better pictures to guess at the sexes of your peababies.
My initial impression is...2 hens and one cock? Or possibly three hens?
Others here are much better at gender IDs than I am, and they will certainly offer their opinions shortly!

Hello there!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm going to say that we'll probably need better pictures to guess at the sexes of your peababies.
Others here are much better at gender IDs than I am, and they will certainly offer their opinions shortly!
Yeah, I was going to say we need better pictures. They sure are little rascals lol. They run away everytime i try to get near them.
lol.png

Hello there!
welcome-byc.gif

14040074_1771150266502766_791660776286794780_n.jpg

Finally managed to catch one lol. Here's a better close up of one of the peababies

I am fairly new to BYC. Just wanted to let everyone know how wonderful it has been to find this site. My health no longer allows me to raise chickens,something that I grew up doing in the 1950'same. My Dad and aunts/uncles/cousins on my Mother's side of the family had done all of their lives. I miss my girls and the joy that they gave me from the fresh eggs to the different personalities of each hen. So you folks allow me to remember all of the good times throughout the years by sharing your stories. Thanks for allowing me to relive the wonderful memories of the past. To each of you bless you and your girls for bringing a bit of happiness and joy into my life today. Tim Shockley.

Yeah, I was going to say we need better pictures. They sure are little rascals lol. They run away everytime i try to get near them.
lol.png

When posting pics of birds and especially when you want an opinion on sex or color it is always best to crop the pic before posting. Yes, we can blow it up but far away pics get fuzzy so cropping helps us a lot.

That said you have at least two hens maybe three, but I am leaning on a trio of one maybe cock and two hens. The second pics is a def hen.

When posting pics of birds and especially when you want an opinion on sex or color it is always best to crop the pic before posting. Yes, we can blow it up but far away pics get fuzzy so cropping helps us a lot.

That said you have at least two hens maybe three, but I am leaning on a trio of one maybe cock and two hens. The second pics is a def hen.
So how can you tell, any tips? Because we are selling only 4 of the 5 brown babies and its kinda hard to keep track of which is which...
hmm.png

So how can you tell, any tips? Because we are selling only 4 of the 5 brown babies and its kinda hard to keep track of which is which...
hmm.png

Hens lose the barring on the back feathers and the cocks retain it. You can also look at the individual feathers on the back for either multiple bars or single bars. Hens also have that white/cream colored scalloped tips on the feathers on the front of the neck.

Back
Top Bottom