Anyone know if Quail or Ducks are allowed in Orem Utah?

Chiko

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Orem, Utah.
I just found out I can only have 6 chickens in Orem Utah, (BUMMMER!!!) So I was wondering if I could keep ducks or quail? Anyone know?

I'd find out who the animal control officer is and talk to them. Who would check out a complaint? Call your local police station and talk to them. It is probably a specific police officer but possibly someone at the shelter. Each different jurisdiction does it differently. Unless someone on this forum lives in the same jurisdiction as you, we do not know your local specific conditions. Each state, county, city, town, township, homeowner's association, precinct, subdivision, or development can have their own rules.

I can't imagine a place like Orem limiting folks to 6 chickens. There used to be chicken farms all over there on the bench... and as for ducks, shoot you are just a few miles away from the lake... you could get some mallards and tell folks they flew in.
wink.png

Quote:
Great find jwoo! And in case no one has yet:
welcome-byc.gif

I looked at the code and it specifies in residential lots less than one acre 6 hens are permitted, so I am thinking if you have over 1 acre you may be exempt. Where I come from the law is written to say except for zoning areas where the keeping of livestock is permitted, a maximum of 6 hen chickens are allowed etc...
So how big is your lot Chikoman13's?

Quote:
Great find jwoo! And in case no one has yet:
welcome-byc.gif

I looked at the code and it specifies in residential lots less than one acre 6 hens are permitted, so I am thinking if you have over 1 acre you may be exempt. Where I come from the law is written to say except for zoning areas where the keeping of livestock is permitted, a maximum of 6 hen chickens are allowed etc...
So how big is your lot Chikoman13's?

I'm not sure of the size but heres how I have 6 chickens and the people are ok with it.
We just moved into this house from a large house where I could have my roosters and my Turkey. We moved on a short notice and we had to time to get rid of them. So when we were here, the first 2 weeks were ok with no complaints but then one day the officer showd up saying he's getting lots of complaints and I had to make it down to 4 hens. Since my parents weren't home so he could tell them, he said he'd be back in one hour to tell them. When he did come back he said he'd let me keep 6 as long as I promised not to get more roosters
big_smile.png
Yup
smile.png
I also asked about ducks and he said I could have a "Few ducks"...I don't know what he meant by that but I'm keeping 2 just to be safe.

This is a somewhat old thread, but I've been researching about quail in Orem, Utah and thought I share what I've learned.

1) Orem Municipal Code has no references to quail at all, so, no regulations there.
2) Old-world quail (i.e.: coturnix) are unregulated in Utah, so no problems there, either.
3) Possession of game birds (including California/Valley, and Gambel's Quail), are regulated and require a Certificate of Registration. Part of the rule is that any escaped birds become public property, just as any other game bird, and you cannot release them except with written permission of the Division of Wildlife Resources.
Source: http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r657/r657-003.htm

Hope that helps.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
You can have two ducks in orem per residential lot under one Acre.

Here is the resolution that was passed last year to allow chickens. In it it specifies that you can have 2 ducks and that they need to be 20ft from any street or house.

http://www.orem.org/DSPlan/Res2010/PC-2010-0002.pdf

Hope that helps!

2 is ridiculously low.

You can't do anything with a limit of 2.

The point of any poultry is to lower your grocery bills and put food on the table.

This is why people need to be voted out of office sometimes, because they take away peoples rights to be self sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom