Anyone know what a male quail sounds like?

I have one male and sometimes he is vocal in the wee hours of the morning but not enough noise to keep you awake. Around 9 am he gets cranked up but it sill beats a barking dog no matter where you live. My neighbors don't mind, they have roosters. I have quail and chickens, someday I might start a neighborhood "RENT A ROOSTER". I don't want one yet cause I am not concerned about breeding my chickens, just give me fresh eggs.

My onomatopoeia for it is "wrop wrop!"
Mine for cots would be "qwiefn-quwenfasdnvAIP" ......"awepr9fgnapa wnfna"...... while it didnt bother me, i was cool new sound..... it bothered me that it bothered my neighbors.... so everytime i would hear it i would cringe cause i knew they were that much closer to camp kenmore.

Last edited:
hahaha love the stories. it is definetly a ... strange sound. When I lived in the suburbs my neighbors used to sit on the patio and watch them, the noise didn't bother them but yeah, I could hear them half a block away so I'm sure our whole street could hear them... I actually did phone animal control/bylaw before i got them and he said that as long as nobody complained he didn't care.

I did lock my birds in their coop at night though, so nobody could hear the crowing until I let them out in the morning.

My mom said it sounds like someone shaking a piece of metal sheeting. I read on a website somewhere that they thought it sounded like "stupidQUAAAAAIL! stupidQUAAAAAAIL!"

Another person thought it sounded like "whattheF****?? whattheF****??"

Oh quail.

I would stil take a hundred of them over one yappy chihuahua any day.

Very strange moment, I was reading your post and questions, when I started hearing a weird, piping noise that seemed to be coming from my computer. I though someone had linked a sound clip, and it was getting my lovebird worked up. I left the post. Sound continued. I closed the window. Sound continued. after I put my computer on standby, and the sound was still happening, I decided to look for another source. I turned around and the noise stopped immediately, and my male button quail was looking at me with "busted!" written all over his quail face, poised and neck stretched out. So, button quail sound like a hollow piping, coming through a computer's speakers. And they can apparently throw their voices.

My Quail sounds like he is shouting " I'm the male". That is so funny how everyone hears it differently.

Back
Top Bottom