Anyone know what could be wrong with my hen?

kellychiciii

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
South Carolina
I've noticed one of my Barred Rock hens doesn't seem to feeling well. I let them run my yard every afternoon and my daughter brought it to my attention she was acting right. While all the others were scratching and finding treasures in the yard she was just walking around and not as active at all. She was also the last one in and she's roosting by herself. I caught her and felt around to see if possibly she had a lodged egg because one of my hens hasn't laid in a couple of days and I felt nothing. Her eyes and nose are clear and seems to be breathing normal....I'm new to chickens so any advice on what I need to do please tell me. Thank you!

I've noticed one of my Barred Rock hens doesn't seem to feeling well. I let them run my yard every afternoon and my daughter brought it to my attention she was acting right. While all the others were scratching and finding treasures in the yard she was just walking around and not as active at all. She was also the last one in and she's roosting by herself. I caught her and felt around to see if possibly she had a lodged egg because one of my hens hasn't laid in a couple of days and I felt nothing. Her eyes and nose are clear and seems to be breathing normal....I'm new to chickens so any advice on what I need to do please tell me. Thank you!
Okay, you don't say how old this hen is, or if there could be any other symptoms. Is she eating? Drinking? Any help you can give would make it easier to advise you. Pictures would help as well.

Sorry and thank you I'm kind of in a panic...yes I have seen her eat, I assume she's drinking...she is almost a year old she was born last summer. She honestly looks just like my other rocks who seem to be healthy but I can take pics tomorrow. I've noticed no discharge coming from anywhere, haven't noticed any blood in stool. Her feathers look good...she's not hanging her wings down or fluffed out. My daughter says she looks sad and I guess that's a way to describe it. Usually they are always around each other but today she was by herself in the yard a couple of times and she was the last one in the coop tonight. Normally they all roost together but she was alone...I have not noticed them running her off or trying to fight her either but I will pay more attention tomorrow. Also I've noticed one of the rocks hasn't layed in two days today being the 2nd day.
Thank you!

Okay, you need to check her to see if you can feel any type of lump from her throat down to her vent. I use my fingers and just gently drag them down and around to the butt. She might be egg bound. There may be something in her crop. Check her in the morning and post any information you can get.

If it's egg binding it is usually simple to take care of. You will need some calcium pills with vitamin D added. Crush them and add to a small amount of water, what she can consume in 1/2 an hour. If you get the human chewable, 500mg calcium [600 would work as well] and 400iu vitamin D, they have a fruity taste to them that the birds will readily consume. A warm bath works along with this as it relaxes the muscles and helps to move things along.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738201/goose-what-is-this-how-did-it-happen-what-do-i-do-about-it

Post #49. Yes it's a goose, but it works for chickens as well as I have found out first hand.

I will recheck as you described but I did feel around on her crop and rear and felt nothing hard. I compared to my other hens and didn't feel anything different...other than her crop was a lil smaller than the others. Thank you so much for your help and I will update tomorrow.

We have a hen who is the same way. When the other chickens hear a hawk, they will run under the truck or somewhere for protection, while she just stands there. She's always off to herself, and when she's with the others, they 'bully" her. We just decided to take her away from the flock for a while. There probably isn't anything physically wrong with your chicken, maybe she's just a little odd like ours.

I haven't noticed any fighting but Im going to pay more attention tomorrow. This is the first day I've noticed her being like this...maybe she's just having an off day. Thank you for your help glad to know we aren't alone :)

Update: so I went out first thing this morning to check on my hen and she was out side with the rest pecking around. I went inside the coop to get their feed and I noticed an egg on the ground under the roost she was on and it was sitting in a pile of poop broken. Im hoping that was issue...she seems good so far today!
Should I give the calcium as a preventative or just treat when needed?

Update: so I went out first thing this morning to check on my hen and she was out side with the rest pecking around. I went inside the coop to get their feed and I noticed an egg on the ground under the roost she was on and it was sitting in a pile of poop broken. Im hoping that was issue...she seems good so far today!
Should I give the calcium as a preventative or just treat when needed?
All of the shell was there correct? I would make sure that your girls have oyster shell ans well as the layer feed for now. Watch them and her especially, for now. If she lays tomorrow and the next day with no problems, I would say that it was just a glitch and with the added calcium from the oyster shell, she should be fine. If however she doesn't lay, I would give her the calcium with D. Full dose day 1, days 2-3, 1/2 the tablet each day. Giving the dose this way will allow you to continue with their regular feed and not have to separate her from the others. I'm glad to hear she laid this morning.

Back
Top Bottom