Anyone know what they use to dye the chicks for easter?

when the chicken has hatched how do u dye it?? for just at home to amuse kids do u just spray it with diluted food colouring or vegitable dye?

Quote:
it's not harmful, does not effect the hatch rate or seem to hurt or annoy the birds at all. at least here at Triple D's they use a safe vegetable-base dye. they inject the EGG not the actualy embryo or chicken with the dye. they feather out and look normal when they grow. i've bought many colored/dyed chicks and never lost a single baby or had a sick one. i don't see what the huge deal is..

Quote:
Spray them with food coloring. Some people dip them in a food coloring / water mix. It wont hurt them.

chel

Why would you buy colored chicks for kids? I would be afraid of them being too rough with them. Is it a look but don't touch type deal? I didn't let my kids handle mine when we first got the. Now the fun part could be letting them chase colored chicks instead of eggs around the yard! If the weather is nice. Or do you set them in a basket? What do you do with them and kids? Something safe for the babies. Our feed store is getting some in next week(pullets), and I'm still debating on them for easter. What difference is 1 or 2, or 5 or 10 more going to make?? More eggs in my opinion!! That's always a good thing right??
thumbsup.gif

And people dont buy UNCOLORED chicks for children at Easter? Cmon, lets wake up here. Kids dont ONLY want colored chicks, they want ANY chick ... I am opposed to ANYONE buying animals that dont take care of them, no matter the age.

My 2 Cents
Gate

Last edited:
Quote:
BINGO! Thanks for posting that. I think more people could be coaxed into keeping and caring for their Easter chicks if they were female, whether the chicks are dyed or not.

food coloring works great and it wont hurt them. i had i friend when i was in school wanted to go as the incredibal hulk for holloween. he used green food coloring and crisco to make a green past. he then colored him self green. next day at school he was still green. the crisco washed off the green food coloring did not. but i would check local and state law be for doing so

Back
Top Bottom