Anyone know what this is - lump over eye?

MandS

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2016
Berkshire, UK
I noticed this yesterday. Not seen it before. She's behaving completely normally but has this whitish swelling over her right eye. It looks like a blister. Nothing else on her so don't know if it's an injury or not. Certainly no other swellings or lumps anywhere else.

Do you know what it is? Should I leave it, apply something or lance it?

Pictures are a bit blurry because it's still quite dark here and the camera was not coping well with movement!

Thanks

Screenshot_20221230-083038.png
Screenshot_20221230-082948~2.png

I am not sure, but I’ll ask some questions to get some more info so when other people see this thread, hopefully they can have a better idea and help you more than I can. How old is this bird? Is the lump hard and solid or squishy and pliable? Does your bird have any eye discharge or a runny nose, or does she have any breathing concerns? Is there any abnormal mucus in her mouth? Does her breath smell a bit off? Also how is your bird eating and drinking? Wishing you luck. 🙏

Hi.

Thanks. She's eating normally, drinking, laying, everything just as normal. No mucus, nothing wrong with the eye itself, no sneezing, wheezing or breathing problems. Breath is fine (not sour crop breath).

Lump is difficult to tell if just hard or very full.

She is about 2 years old.

Hope that's enough info

My chicken have just the same underneath her eye. It's been there for over one week now, and she is still acting totally normal. I've been applying neosporin ointment on it for two days now (really hard since she won't sit still and I don't want to get it in her eye and she tries to eat the q-tip 🤣), and I think maybe it's a little bit better today, but I don't really know yet. I have been trying to figure out what it is, but no one seems to know. Maybe a cyst?

I'd take the wait and watch approach at this point. Trying to lance it could cause more problems, introduce infection, etc., and since there doesn't appear to be an actual wound I don't think it needs an antibiotic cream or anything. Her comb does look quite pale especially in contrast to her wattles... is that normal for her or just a camera effect?

Thanks all.

I wondered if it was a cyst too. I don't know how to tell the difference. I also agree with waiting.

It's winter here and rather wet and miserable. Her comb looks normal to me but you are right, it is not bright red. It never has been but neither have the others got red combs. They are rescue hens which we got in September and they were incredibly pale when they were rescued. They've got much redder since then.

I'll try to get a better picture if I can.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom