Anyone know what types of birds these are????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrendanP, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BrendanP

BrendanP New Egg

Jul 6, 2012
    I got all of these at a swap this spring and I have no idea on to what they are specifically so any input would be appreciated...The first one is a polish cross rooster of some kind I assume? The second is a bantam rooster and the third is another bantam hen...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    The first photo, I'm not sure what he is and can't guess upon possible crosses without a better photograph. The second two, are Old English Game Bantam hens.. A BBred (Second) and looks to be a Silver Duckwing (third).

God bless,
    Daniel.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Yea, I think your #2 is a hen, not a rooster.

4. BrendanP

BrendanP New Egg

Jul 6, 2012
    That could be but if so she is a confused little girl because she absolutely sounds like a rooster every morning!

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Some hens will even crow, it's more common than one might expect. I would suggest she's a possible henny, as there are henfeathered OEGB, but they're not real common as I've only seen them once and also her comb is not developed enough to be a cock. It used to be considered a bad omen for a hen to crow and people said to cull them, but I personally have never found it true myself [​IMG].

I think maybe the idea of it being a bad omen, is that when hens are in a all hen-flock sometimes one will take the role of a rooster and may start crowing; this can sometimes halt egg laying especially if it is a result of ovary failure/increased testosterone as seen in some hens.. The old timers would have culled the hen because she wouldn't have been producing eggs, after that then they might of assumed all hens that were crowing would take the same path.

God bless,
    Daniel.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the first looks like a sultan, polish, or silkie mix
    2nd is a pullet not a roo and is a game hen...only hens come in that color
    3rd is another game pullet

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The first I would suggest is possibly a Faverolle/Polish cross roo. The second and third I agree are OEGB hens. The coloration on each is specifically hen coloration. Roos won't be colored like that.

8. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    2nd & third are definitely Old English Game Bantam HENS. (I breed these.) The 1st is a BB Red & the 2nd is a Silver Duckwing. Previous comments on coloring are correct as ONLY the hens have this coloring. As for pic #1, not sure of the mix there.

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    your only rooster is a polish cross

10. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    The first pic looks just like my orpington/polish cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by