Anyone know what types of birds these are????

BrendanP

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
I got all of these at a swap this spring and I have no idea on to what they are specifically so any input would be appreciated...The first one is a polish cross rooster of some kind I assume? The second is a bantam rooster and the third is another bantam hen...

The first photo, I'm not sure what he is and can't guess upon possible crosses without a better photograph. The second two, are Old English Game Bantam hens.. A BBred (Second) and looks to be a Silver Duckwing (third).

God bless,
Daniel.

That could be but if so she is a confused little girl because she absolutely sounds like a rooster every morning!

That could be but if so she is a confused little girl because she absolutely sounds like a rooster every morning!
Some hens will even crow, it's more common than one might expect. I would suggest she's a possible henny, as there are henfeathered OEGB, but they're not real common as I've only seen them once and also her comb is not developed enough to be a cock. It used to be considered a bad omen for a hen to crow and people said to cull them, but I personally have never found it true myself
big_smile.png

I think maybe the idea of it being a bad omen, is that when hens are in a all hen-flock sometimes one will take the role of a rooster and may start crowing; this can sometimes halt egg laying especially if it is a result of ovary failure/increased testosterone as seen in some hens.. The old timers would have culled the hen because she wouldn't have been producing eggs, after that then they might of assumed all hens that were crowing would take the same path.

God bless,
Daniel.

the first looks like a sultan, polish, or silkie mix
2nd is a pullet not a roo and is a game hen...only hens come in that color
3rd is another game pullet

The first I would suggest is possibly a Faverolle/Polish cross roo. The second and third I agree are OEGB hens. The coloration on each is specifically hen coloration. Roos won't be colored like that.

2nd & third are definitely Old English Game Bantam HENS. (I breed these.) The 1st is a BB Red & the 2nd is a Silver Duckwing. Previous comments on coloring are correct as ONLY the hens have this coloring. As for pic #1, not sure of the mix there.

Back
Top Bottom