Anyone know what whould be the outcome if?

Eps32

Songster
Dec 22, 2015
North Carolina
I breed a pure breed blue Orpington rooster with a pure breed chocolate Orpington hen? Would I get both blue and chocolate chicks? Or would I get a different color all together?

You would get some of each and some hybrids. The problem is that you can not sell the chicks as purebred.

Keesmom is correct.
This post not so much. You will never get chocolate chicks without a rooster that is chocolate or that carries chocolate. Chocolate is sex linked.
You will also not get hybrids from your cross. Hybrids are a result of crossing two different breeds which you are not doing.
That brings up the last statement. Your offspring will be 100% orpingtons. The pullets will be no different then pullets hatched from blue or black hens and will breed true to bbs breeding.
The cockerels will carry chocolate unseen. They will be 100% orps and can be sold as such. You should let buyers know that they do carry chocolate so they are not color pure bbs orps.

Last edited:
Keesmom is correct.
This post not so much. You will never get chocolate chicks without a rooster that is chocolate or that carries chocolate. Chocolate is sex linked.
You will also not get hybrids from your cross. Hybrids are a result of crossing two different breeds which you are not doing.
That brings up the last statement. Your offspring will be 100% orpingtons. The pullets will be no different then pullets hatched from blue or black hens and will breed true to bbs breeding.
The cockerels will carry chocolate unseen. They will be 100% orps and can be sold as such. You should let buyers know that they do carry chocolate so they are not color pure bbs orps.
Interesting thank you

Back
Top Bottom