Anyone know where to get glass eggs for snakes to eat

I was reading on another site that they blow the eggs, tape one end, fill with hot sauce & tape the other. Could you imagine the look on that snake's face?There would be no look because the snake would NOT eat the sauce filled egg!

Try night light sized light bulbs. Very cheap at the dollar store. Cheap perhaps, but a waste of money because snakes do NOT eat light bulbs.

Again: My pet snake (and he was captive born) will not even eat a store bought egg so I cannot imagine ANY snake mistaking a light bulb or an egg filled with hot sauce for the real thing. A snake's sense of smell is keen. Don't waste your time doing such non-sense.​

Try to snake-proof the henhouse, and also do what you can to minimize the rodent population, such as picking up feeders and securing all chicken feed in mouse proof containers.

Mothballs may be a snake repellant and there are commercial snake repellants available too. Just be aware that mothballs are not pleasant for chickens either.

Id love to post a picture of Orphan "the only baby peep survivor that night" But I'm not sure how to post a pic. Any suggestions ????

you can also use golf balls! i have those in muy hutches. I have killed two so far this year! sorry for your loss but it's worth a try!
smile.png

I’ve had four golf balls taken in the last two weeks along with all my eggs. I don’t think the golf balls stop them, they just go out in the woods and throw them back up somewhere!!!

Rats will take golf balls and hide them (eggs too), I lost many a few months ago, they are popping up in leaf beds where the girls dig. Thats after one of my dogs got the rat.
Edit get the eggs at dusk, do not let them attract any predator.

Yes most of these items will just be thrown up and not stop a snake at all.
But snakes will eat some strange things from a nest box.
You can Google x ray images of snakes that have eaten plastic Easter eggs, ceramic eggs, golf balls and there's even one with a door knob inside it.
To the one poster just because your captive born snake won't eat those things doesn't mean much.
When you keep captive born and captive raised snakes you are conditioning them to what to eat. A snake in the wild is a different situation.
I used to have many snakes. After the first one I soon figured out feeding live rats to your snake can be dangerous.
If snake isn't hungry but rat is they can knaw on a snake and cause serious damage.
I soon only fed dead rodents to mine which worked out best not only for the reptile but for me. Easier to keep frozen rats in bulk then live ones.
I had many snakes that would never touch a live rodent but just because they didn't I can't run around telling everyone no a snake will not eat a mouse/rat unless its dead.

I remember when I was much younger, my aunt and uncle had chickensand always had thin, breakable fake egs in their nests for chicken snakes. The snake would swallow the egg, and when it squeezed to break, and digest it, the glass would shatter and kill the snake. Perhaps some animal rights group raised hell about this and got the eggs outlawed, but if I can find them for sale, I will post it here, or reply to you in private about where to get them. To heck with those poor snakes!

Fake eggs, golf balls, etc. are not the answer. Snakes will simply throw them back up if they can't digest them.

Snakes are unable to digest their food if the temperature is too low. Therefor in order for the snake to keep from dying from a rotting meal in their bellies snakes are all great at vomiting.
However snakes are terrible house keepers and they NEVER return the pilfered glass nest eggs or golf ball to the place they got them resulting in the loss of a nest egg but not the death of the thieving reptile.

Back
Top Bottom