Anyone know why she's doing this each time??

I'm sorry :( it sounds like your girls sense that Mooshu is not well & are showing signs of worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
When seizures occur the dog experiencing it will sometimes just be helpless and no threat, but with some seizures the same dog can become aggressive and dangerous to whoever is around when it happens.
This is what we have experienced with our late RR and the response of our other dogs was similar to what you described.

At first, they tried to find out what was wrong with him and to "help", but when the more aggressive seizures started to happen, they reacted in a more alarmed and careful/aggressive way.

Please, be careful around the dog while he is suffering his seizure.

Although our rescue RR had not reacted aggressively in the beginning, as time went by and seizures happened often more than once a day, he started to react dangerously (twice pounced out of the blue and tried to kill our other smaller dogs and almost succeeded) and some years and a lot of seizures later, finally even attacked and severely injured me while acting extremely panicked, running about and absolutely out of control. We decided to put him out of his misery at 10,5 years of age as he became uncontrollable and dangerous.

I talked to many vets during these trying years and learned a lot about the topic, but being a RR he was not responsive to the usual medication, as his form of epilepsy was caused by genetics. Only a short time ago international studies on RR epilepsy were concluded and the findings showed the root to be a defective gene. https://www.cabi.org/vetmedresource/news/25469
As a result all future RR breeding programs will have to make sure, their breeding dogs are free from not only hip and elbow dysplasia, thyroid issues and PRA, but also take the blood test to prove the gene in question will not be defective.

Last edited:
After my dad woke up, he came out but before we had a chance to grab them, they both ran out the bedroom door and over to him while he was having his seizure and tried to lick his face.
My dad felt terrible that they kept escaping
Okay, that makes it more clear, if he continues to keep having seizures, keep the females away.
Do you have a dog kennel or are they crate trained?

They're kennel trained but when something bad is happening to someone in the house, they harm themselves trying to get out.
The reason they're attacking him is because he's in a weaker position. Dogs, no matter how long they've been together will, sometimes, attack if a packmate is hurt or 'weak'. Other animals do it to ensure the rest of the herd/pack/group doesn't get slowed down or killed because of the injured one. When he goes into a seizure, they know he can't defend himself so attack him. Unfortunately like the others stated you really need to keep them apart if he's having one. They can seriously injure him or kill him.

Last edited:
The reason they're attacking him is because he's in a weaker position. Dogs, no matter how long they've been together will attack if a packmate is hurt or 'weak'. Other animals do it to ensure the rest of the herd/pack/group doesn't get slowed down or killed because of the injured one. When he goes into a seizure, they know he can't defend himself so attack him. I've worked with animals for 11+ years now and have seen it happen before. Unfortunately like the others stated you really need to keep them apart if he's having one. They can seriously injure him or kill him.
We know to keep them separated but as I stated to someone else, they escaped when those happened.

Back
Top Bottom