Anyone Limiting Their Flock Due to Costs and Economy?

While saving money is on everyone's mind, mine as well, this is one thing that brings me too much happiness. I do not impulse buy chicks for lots of reasons, one being I'd pick every roo in the lot. But caring for my chickens and other poultry is my therapy. There are times when I worry, fret, etc. but for the most part the joy is overwhelmingly what I get most. They make me smile and laugh, worry and cry but as some of my girls get older I always add little ones to keep my numbers manageable. I've ordered 55 and will keep a few and give and sell the rest. The economy definately stinks right now but I keep a positive attitude, it will turn around and until it does, the one thing I won't let go of is my "hobby".

I keep chickens because I love them. They are great companions, good for the garden, keep the bugs away, provide compost, much amusement, eggs and the occasional pot of chicken soup. I know where my food is coming from and I don't have to worry about who's handled it and what it's been fed. It is security and a deep sense of satisfaction and fun!

I became really frustrated this winter when my chickens were eating and eating and eating and eating and not laying any eggs. We used supplemental lighting and insulated the coop, to no avail. We were lucky to get 2 eggs a day from 15 hens.

This spring I am going to raise more ducks. They eat a bit more than chickens, but they lay way more eggs. I'll be able to range them a bit more than usual this summer to cut down on the amount of feed they eat.

I seem to acquire all of the chickens that other people are downsizing in MN/WI! LOL!

I keep threatening to put out a sign: "Katie's Chicken Re-Homing Ranch"

I love it though.

I just wanted to say I wish I could clean out my coops every six months instead of every 2 weeks...............
hit.gif

brooding chicks was a bit of a pain for me as they started to get bigger. If I were to get more I would prefer to get at point of lay like my uncle did. I do limit the number I have a little bit because of the cost. A 50lb bag of feed lasts me about a month. I would like to get maybe just 2 more hens. My boyfriend quizzed me on what this has all cost me and the most expensive thing was the fence at $65. I shopped for bargains, my son brought home board and plywood from a friend, my mom donated my step fathers can of nails (sshhhhhh) and I already had the shed on my property. this summer when I can start selling eggs I figure it will all even out. Besides, its just not a farm without chickens. My son wants turkeys but thats his project not mine.
roll.png

Last edited:
Well, I am sort of going the opposite direction - I am expanding the flock.

I am buying dual purpose only, though, and raising them up to breed to sell chicks and/or chickens, and eggs.

I never use credit - always pay up front.

While I am not downsizing the flock, I am refining it. I have Light Brahmas, Delaware, Black Australorp, Rocks, and Buff Orps.

My original flock was just impulse buy and a mixed bag of chickens - the only one I would never get rid of is the rooster from that flock, and at least half of them (only about 5) are going to auction. The other half will be kept with replacements from the chicks I have growing now.

I sell chicks, and chickens, and I sell eggs, so I need more laying hens, and would like to get some pure bred flocks going, since most people want pure bred chickens (I like mutts, myself, more hardy and often a nicer bird, IMO. )

The mutts I've been hatching are Dellie roo over Light Brahma hens - it makes a nice cross, and the chicks hatch out much bigger than the hatchery chicks I buy.

Of course, I have 25 acres and four chicken coops, so I am not hurting for space, too much (a brooder coop would be nice, though). I also got some ducks and a pair of geese (the geese weren't planned, but I'm glad I have them).

Once I get these newer chicks grown out and have my flocks set up, I won't need to buy any new chicks, though.

Oh, and for feed, I can get 16% feed that the feedstore mixes for 6.50 a 50# bag - so my cost is less than paying top dollar at TSC or Purina.

Although, other than stealing some corn from the donkeys, the geese hardly eat any grain - they'd rather graze the yard and hayfield. I put out food, they don't hardly touch it - so the chickens usually clean it up.

I think more people are getting chickens because the economy is so bad right now. The feedstore got in chicks this morning, and I got there by about 10:30 and already a lot of the breeds were gone. Thankfully they planned for this and are getting more each monday for the next four weeks - so everyone gets a chance to get their chicks. (I have a great feedstore here
big_smile.png
).

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

Well, I am sort of going the opposite direction - I am expanding the flock.

I am buying dual purpose only, though, and raising them up to breed to sell chicks and/or chickens, and eggs.

I never use credit - always pay up front.

While I am not downsizing the flock, I am refining it. I have Light Brahmas, Delaware, Black Australorp, Rocks, and Buff Orps.

My original flock was just impulse buy and a mixed bag of chickens - the only one I would never get rid of is the rooster from that flock, and at least half of them (only about 5) are going to auction. The other half will be kept with replacements from the chicks I have growing now.

I sell chicks, and chickens, and I sell eggs, so I need more laying hens, and would like to get some pure bred flocks going, since most people want pure bred chickens (I like mutts, myself, more hardy and often a nicer bird, IMO. )

The mutts I've been hatching are Dellie roo over Light Brahma hens - it makes a nice cross, and the chicks hatch out much bigger than the hatchery chicks I buy.

Of course, I have 25 acres and four chicken coops, so I am not hurting for space, too much (a brooder coop would be nice, though). I also got some ducks and a pair of geese (the geese weren't planned, but I'm glad I have them).

Once I get these newer chicks grown out and have my flocks set up, I won't need to buy any new chicks, though.

Oh, and for feed, I can get 16% feed that the feedstore mixes for 6.50 a 50# bag - so my cost is less than paying top dollar at TSC or Purina.

Although, other than stealing some corn from the donkeys, the geese hardly eat any grain - they'd rather graze the yard and hayfield. I put out food, they don't hardly touch it - so the chickens usually clean it up.

I think more people are getting chickens because the economy is so bad right now. The feedstore got in chicks this morning, and I got there by about 10:30 and already a lot of the breeds were gone. Thankfully they planned for this and are getting more each monday for the next four weeks - so everyone gets a chance to get their chicks. (I have a great feedstore here
big_smile.png
).

meri

REFINING I like that,much better than me saying I am trying to be practical. LOL Wish I could get grain so cheap.​

Back
Top Bottom