Anyone looking for a Great Pyrenese in TN?

Unless they are raised with livestock they can not usually be trusted. Even when they have been raised with livestock they sometimes do things like eat newborn young. I'm on my 2nd LGD and will probably end up getting rid of her too. She ate a litter of pigs as they were born and she has always been around livestock.

Please, please, please will people stop making blanket statements about dogs and chicken!! It is absolutely possible, if not probably, to use a dog to watch over the chickens; especially a Pyr. Heck, it's absolutely the best thing we ever did, because without our Pyr we would have no chickens. It's been 3 -4 yrs without a predator loss thanks to our dog. Before her we were down 50%. Thanks to your dogs we have no chicken run; the birds are free range on an acre. We love it.

Oh, if anyone doesn’t want their Pyr anymore, there’s a home for them in Colorado.

Jim

I had a Purebred Anatolian I put down because she was attacking my adult animals. She was raised around animals just not with them.

My current dog is a 2 year old Pyrenees cross. She was raised with goats and cows and at a year of age introduced to pigs. She chases chickens but she ate a litter of old spot pigs. I have always separated her when my goats kidded because I felt she couldn't handle it. They were also in a fairly small lot. I recently moved and have almost 2 acres full of brush fenced and she ate at least 4 pigs and tried to eat a 5. For those that don't know humans have been killed by sows protecting their young. I wish this sow would have at least hurt the dog. For now I have her tethered out back and am trying to figure out weather to have her put down or live permanently with a muzzle. Finding homes for a failed LGD is hard especially in these economic times.

Jim you are welcome to her if you can get her from Georgia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom