Anyone on here breed non-molting fowl?

Michael99

Songster
Jan 3, 2018
Litchfield Park, AZ
Hey ya'll!

So I know that this is a very niche subject, but I have a line of silver ginger Phoenix that have the David Roger's line bred into them. I want to make sure I properly select for non-molting characteristics in these birds, so I'm looking for some advice from people who actually breed Phoenix or extreme feathered longtails (as some people call them) for non-molting traits.

I've done a lot of research into these birds, so I know the basics (regarding care and genetics) but I'd like to know more so which juvenile roosters should be tested for non molting (like is there cues as to which might have a greater chance of not molting?); as in traits that are often indicative of non molting without actually having to test each bird individually.

Any advice is appreciated!

I have never heard of a non moulting bird. Seems like their feathers would be pretty ratty and useless as defense against the elements fairly soon.

These might refrain from molting, but that needs to be verified.
1590714516005.png

I believe its just the tailfeathers that don't molt, and they are mainly for ornamental uses
Yes, it's the tail feathers that don't molt. The rest of the bird molts once every 1-2 years (depending on the feather group) much like a normal chicken. But it is true that if the tail isn't properly cared for it will get ratty and damaged, and would likely get shredded once it reached ground level.

Yes, it's the tail feathers that don't molt. The rest of the bird molts once every 1-2 years (depending on the feather group) much like a normal chicken. But it is true that if the tail isn't properly cared for it will get ratty and damaged, and would likely get shredded once it reached ground level.
can't they get like 30 feet in some birds

can't they get like 30 in some birds
Yes, but only purebred Onagadori from Japan have ever gotten tails in the 30+ feet range. What we have in the US is mostly Phoenix, most of which can't get tails longer than 3-5 feet in well bred lines.

However, I know that CY Hyde has a really old line of Phoenix that have a higher percentage of Onagadori blood in them, and some people have been able to get tails about 10-12 feet long on some select roosters from that line, and David Rogers has a line of extreme feathered birds as well that can get tails at least that long, maybe he's improved his line since then but I haven't been able to find anything on the web about his birds that isn't at least 8 or more years old, so not completely sure on that. But that's about the best we have in the US tail length wise.

If like a normal chicken, then all feathers replaced every year. If like my males, then hackles replaced twice a year. The tail feathers even in wild-type present a special situation where normal replacement patter is compressed and regrowth is rapid.

If like a normal chicken, then all feathers replaced every year. If like my males, then hackles replaced twice a year. The tail feathers even in wild-type present a special situation where normal replacement patter is compressed and regrowth is rapid.
Do you have any non-molting chickens? If so, I'd love to see pictures!

Do you have any non-molting chickens? If so, I'd love to see pictures!
I have none. The "much like a normal chickens" bit on feather replacement peaked my interest. I follow feather replacement patterns closely in chickens that approach the wild-type, plus a couple backyard breeds. None keep any feathers anywhere on the body more than a year. Towards end of that interval the feathers show clear sign of degradation even when under more protected conditions.

Whatever mechanism promotes the near continuous growth pattern of tail feathers is very interesting. Clearly a great deal of care must invested in protecting the feathers from sunlight, bacterial action, oxidation and mechanical damage.

Back
Top Bottom