Anyone own Red or Black Star pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mom2fourbebes, Feb 19, 2009.

1. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    We're adding two hens to our flock...A Red and Black Star. Are they really great layers and as docile as the hatcheries claim them to be? The hens we have are really, really easy going and laid back...we're looking for the same in the additions...

2. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Red Star... 2 hens nice large eggs, come and eat out of our 2 year olds hand with out even a mark. Will even take moths from him with out a peck on his skin.

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three black stars and one red star. The red star is a little egg laying machine. She's very small, I don't know why, and very shy but she's a little sweetie and always, always sitting in the nest laying another egg. The black stars are bigger girls with plump almost Orp like bodies. They're more outgoing, always yelling at me for their treats but not terribly affectionate. Never mean to any of the other chickens just out there doing their thing. They developed as egg layers last of my whole flock but have never missed a day since they started.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Yes. We loved our Red Star hen and our Black Stars when we had them. Very easy going and great layers. The Black Stars didn't seem to be as hardy as some of the other breeds we had though...maybe it was just the ones we had.

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    If I could only have one breed I'd have Red Stars. Great layers, always friendly. I love them!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had one red star that was mean, but she laid double yolkers.

I now have three black stars. 1 that's 10 months old and is a good layer and two juvies.

7. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have both and they are friendly and great layers!! I get alot of double yolkers from those girls. They come running up to me whenever they see me. I love mine!! [​IMG]

8. gckiddhouse

gckiddhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Desert Hills, AZ
    We have a rooster and a hen that are real light colored sex links. Amber is what I think they are.
    Anyway, they are both flighty and unfriendly. always have been, since being day olds. The hen is nasty mean to the other hens and has pecked me and my kids.
    But, I think mine are different than most, cause most say they love them. Go figure.
    I will say that the hen lays nice eggs about 6 days a week. Almost as many as my leghorn, and more than both my RIRs.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. jprinc44

jprinc44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    south-central Va.
    I have one red star, and that girl lays the biggest eggs of all my hens, quite a few double yolks in what she lays. Her personality is very calm and even tempered, she is not outgoingly friendly, but was almost 5 months old when I got her, so may not have been socialized. HTH Janet

10. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I have about 50 red stars nice birds no trouble at all i have a bout 30+ black star crosses no problems at all i prefer the red star and starting to move the bulk of the flock to red star and then cross with bard rock. i have about 70 bard rock cross with red and black star and who really knows what else most look like bard rock and are very easy going birds but have there nose stuck where they dont belong a lot i few are now trying to help geather the eggs in the evening [​IMG] if they could just get thelm in the bucket all would be great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by