Anyone raised a frazzle?

kat66

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
Southern Utah
I ordered some frizzles from ideal and one is a frazzle . At 5 weeks he's already half naked. Lost all his fuzz and only has a few feathers. Has anyone raised one of these naked birds? Will I have to make him a sweater for the winter, bring him inside? Curious as to how others have dealt with this.

We currently have a frazzle. Previous owner was putting nutri vitamin in her water and was giving her protein chick feed.
We got her at the beginning of February.
We have filtered water and she gets that, layer feed with chicken seed mix, and a cooked egg every day.
Usually seed mix is bag for bag ratio, but to give her more protein, we upped the seed mix. Egg is cooked various ways every day, never use oils.
Her feathers are almost completely back.
She was bald, with very few feathers in certain spots. Following pictures show current feather growth.
Under one wing:

Under other wing:

Side rump:

Other side:

Head:

That's amazing. I've never heard that more protein would help. I thought because of the 2 frizzle genes they just don't feather in right. I'm mostly worried about winter because he would freeze. Thank you I'm going to try that.

That's amazing. I've never heard that more protein would help. I thought because of the 2 frizzle genes they just don't feather in right. I'm mostly worried about winter because he would freeze. Thank you I'm going to try that.
That's right about them not feathering in right but protein helps birds grow in feathers stronger, better and faster I do believe :)

We currently have a frazzle. Previous owner was putting nutri vitamin in her water and was giving her protein chick feed.
We got her at the beginning of February.
We have filtered water and she gets that, layer feed with chicken seed mix, and a cooked egg every day.
Usually seed mix is bag for bag ratio, but to give her more protein, we upped the seed mix. Egg is cooked various ways every day, never use oils.
Her feathers are almost completely back.
She was bald, with very few feathers in certain spots. Following pictures show current feather growth.
Under one wing:

Under other wing:

Side rump:

Other side:

Head:
How old are they? Kinda a big comb for a pullet... :(

welcome-byc.gif

I got a frazzle in my order from MMM last May. I brooded it just like all the other chicks. I was concerned about it during the winter, but it did just fine outside. That group of bantams were housed in an aviary style coop, basically a metal frame with chicken wire and a tarp, snuggled up against another building for a wind break. Granted, I'm in Southern Oregon and our coldest only gets down in the teens, but the ugly little thing did just fine. I sold her this spring, because I wasn't sure if she was ever going to lay (but the frizzle from the same batch hadn't started laying yet, either) and I sure didn't want to breed her. space is at a premium here, so if you're not part of a breeding project, or a special pet, you get to move on
smile.png

That makes sense that protein helps feathering. Good to know they can survive the teens. That's about as cold as it gets here. Thank you.

I'll have to ask the previous owner as I can't recall what she said the age was.
I'll get back to you and let you know.

She is about 5 months old. Hoping they are right and it is a she! I haven't looked at tail feathers as she's not really had any.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom