Anyone raising CX right now and getting ready to move them outside?

sfchixn

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
We have 50 meat chicks in the brooder and they are growing fast. Considering moving them outside at 2.5-3 weeks age -- which is about 1 week away (they are nearly 2 weeks old now).

I've started dialing down the brooder temp and they are thriving at 65-75 degrees F currently. (So much for 95 degrees day one and 5 degrees less per week. They should be at 85 degrees today based on that.)

Outside temperatures during the day are 50-70 degrees. Evenings can dip down to 32 but dry and temps ranging from 32-45. I plan on setting up hay bales with some chick plates inside, covered with tarp and allowing them enter/exit the "structure" at will.

I think that would work. In addition to the plates, maybe provide them with a huddle box so they can use each other for warmth. Last year I had mine on pasture atr 3 weeks with night temps at about 50. I didn't supply heat plates or huddle boxes. They were fine. I think having a dry, draft free area for them to escape the elements is key. Good luck with your meaties!

P.S. Where generally are you located? May help people better answer this question.

No it is not our first time, but it is our first time in the cold. We did two batches last year, harvesting in May and August (2020). We had really great results but the temperatures were mild when we moved them out at three weeks and there were no concerns at all except for some high daytime temps which we mitigated by keeping them under shade and giving ice cubes in their water several times a day.

No it is not our first time, but it is our first time in the cold. We did two batches last year, harvesting in May and August (2020). We had really great results but the temperatures were mild when we moved them out at three weeks and there were no concerns at all except for some high daytime temps which we mitigated by keeping them under shade and giving ice cubes in their water several times a day.
Awesome! I two have 2 batches under my belt. My third is being delivered march 1st. Good luck with this batch. Let us know how it goes!

Got the chicks outside and installed their huddle boxes (2 x 50 chick plate brooders in some fruit boxes and covered by heavy canvas tarp).

Attachments

• tempImageQJUKP8.png
    tempImageQJUKP8.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImager1yz4U.png
    tempImager1yz4U.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom