anyone run electric to their coop? How hard is it to do?

Quote:
The cheap plastic pipe they use for conduit works better as a conduit!
smile.png

weather or not it works better i do not know but i can tell you no matter where you live it is illegal to use it for electrical purpose, the NEC code book list types of *CONDUIT* sutiable for electrical applactions, the gray pvc, IMC,RMC are the only one sutiable for below ground installations.

Quote:
smile.png

weather or not it works better i do not know but i can tell you no matter where you live it is illegal to use it for electrical purpose, the NEC code book list types of *CONDUIT* sutiable for electrical applactions, the gray pvc, IMC,RMC are the only one sutiable for below ground installations.

Plus, grey PVC 1" conduit is only like $2 for ten foot length so it's not cost-prohibitive. I used it to throw up some e-fence really quick one day.

Kman,

I just caught an error when I read your reply. I didn't mean 6", I meant 6 FEET. Heck, even at that depth I still have to run heat tape and insulation to keep them remotely operational
sad.png

Quote:
i was kinda wondering but i did not want to point it out because i was like heck what do i know about frost line depth, you know what i mean i am in south mississippi we do not know anything about that stuff, but hey now i see what you are saying all making sense now LOL
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
smile.png

kman... I guess you didn't catch my sarcasism. I am in aggreement with you that you should use the correct conduit pipe for electrical. I was referring to using the inexpensive grey pvc conduit. I would feel sorry for anyone who tried to cut a black irrigation line thinking it was for irrigation than then getting zapped because someone decided to run a live wire through it.

We ran electric to our coop this past summer. I didn't want to use direct burial wire cause it's to easy to knick in the future. So I picked up some 3/4" plastic conduit at Home Depot. It's really cheap insurance that the wire will stand a little more abuse before it gets damaged. Anyway I ran 12/2 w/ground romex (handles 20 amps) from the coop to our pole barn. I put a plug end on the pole barn side and plugged it into a receptacle rated at 20 amps with CFCI. (Hey don't want the hens getting shocked now do we? In the coop I added regular lighting (CFLs) a blower for summer ventilation, a small resistance heater for the waterer, and a timer to give the hens a bit more light in the winter. Mine are still wearing sunglasses and laying like it's June or July! They don't know the difference with 12 -14 hours of light each day.

Working with wiring doesn't take a rocket scientist and there are many books to give you sound advice.

BTW #10 wire is rated at 30 amps. Unless you need some serious lighting, heating, air conditioning, or are a looong way from the power source it's overkill in my opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom