Anyone sprout seeds just for the sprouts?

DurhamDuck

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Durham, Connecticut
I am going to start some alfalfa later in my sprouter. I can take a picture if anyone is interested.

I think I will get some mung beans and sunflowers to try next. It's a good way to get greens even in the winter or when the rest of your garden has failed for some reason.

I'm interested! Heard it's super easy to do and I'd love to start doing it as well. I live in a small town and the only store that carries sprouts around here is 25 mins away!

Yes, it's very easy. I use the Victorio seed sprouter (about $20 on amazon I think), but there are other types. If what you're after is bean sprouts, you can use an ordinary glass jar. Currently I've only done clover and alfalfa, which both taste pretty much the same. They're good on otherwise-plain sandwiches, to add a little crunch, especially if you don't like crunchy lettuce like me. If you grow too much, animals can eat most kinds of sprouts. Guinea pigs, ducks and geese all like alfalfa.

I live in a small town too. I've actually never seen sprouts for sale- except for mung beans in a can, but I think the point of eating sprouts is to eat something fresh, and to eat it from a can seems to defeat the point...

Anyway, all you need is a container and to be able to rinse the sprouts in clean water twice a day, twelve hours apart. And yes it really does have to be 12 hours apart, or they can get moldy or dried out.

I do for my chickens. Very easy amd quick results...I've used the victorio and mason jars. I've sprouted Mung beans, alfalfa, and tried BOSS but couldn't get past the starting of a sprout and then would get moldy

will BOSS grow in the garden?

In the veg gardens, in the flower gardens, in the compost, in the yard, in between the cracks in the walkway, along the fence lines....I've got them everywhere!
I go through 400+ pounds each winter for the birds and livestock, and seeds inevitably get dropped here and there. And come spring, they pop up all over the place.

I do for my chickens. Very easy amd quick results...I've used the victorio and mason jars. I've sprouted Mung beans, alfalfa, and tried BOSS but couldn't get past the starting of a sprout and then would get moldy
Sometimes seeds are coated with a solution to keep them from spoiling. Esp. if they were meant to be
fed to animals. The coated seeds will mold instead of sprouting. Double check they aren't coated when
you sprout them. For my chickens, I use Plotspike Forage Oats. They are non-GMO and uncoated.
Created by specialized line breeding at Louisana State University circs 2002. Plotspike makes a lot of
formulas to sprout for animals. http://www.plotspike.com
For people? I don't have sources at hand, sorry.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom