Anyone tried this feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 5.3acredream, Oct 12, 2018.

1. 5.3acredream

5.3acredream Chirping

Feb 8, 2018
    South Jersey
    I'm looking at this feeder set up and was wondering if anyone had tried it. This is a similar set up via video.I have a small flock of 7 and think it might be just what I am looking for.

Any thoughts?

2. N F C

N F C no time like snow time

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Do you have a photo so we could see the feeder?

3. 5.3acredream

5.3acredream Chirping

Feb 8, 2018
    South Jersey
    feeder1_FH-600x347.jpg

4. paintedChix

paintedChix Songster

Dec 15, 2013
    NC
    I just read the "build" and I might have to try that one out!! Currently using holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket, put into a feed pan - inexpensive gravity feed. So far, haven't had issues with sparrows or other birds...

Finding buckets these days with a "wire bail" handle heavy enough to hold 25#s of feed will be interesting. Just carrying the Lowes' or TSC's buckets w/ feed in them makes the handles "groan"... Must have to purchase the heavier buckets.

5. GoodwinFarm

GoodwinFarm Chirping

Sep 22, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Hm.. We paid for the "peckomatic" which is very similar to this. I love it and use it every summer for our meat birds.

I don't have any financial incentive to talk about peckamatic, I just really love the product!

6. StarChicken

StarChicken Songster

Feb 14, 2010
    Benton, Arkansas
    I tried making one of those, but it doesn't let enough feed out for the chickens to eat much at a time. Also, they would have to line up to get at it.

7. Naser

Naser Songster

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    I used trigger happy chicken feeders, they work fine, just you have to experiment with the thickness of the plastic and the hole size, I put it in a place accessible to wild birds and they learned how to use it, It wasn't practical for me to put it inside the coop, so I use treadle feeders now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: