Anyone tried this? Or attempted to make one?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goat_Walker, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, well i get really nervous about my humidity droppping when i cant be there to fill it up.

Last night I was thinking about it and was wondering if anyone had made something like an IV?

Picture this :

A bottle filled with water with a tube connecting it that can hang down from the outside into the bator. The end of the hose has a tip on it that lets water drip in slowly to keep the humidity steady.

Would this work? That way you could leave a large suply of water around that feeds the bator as needed.

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I use aquarium tubing and stick it down into/through the wire mesh floor and leave a little sticking out of the top of the bator I roll up a bit of duct tape for a plug at the end of the tubing and even tape around where the tubing sticks out of the hole. When I need to add water I use a small funnel and pour the warm water in. This method works well at lock down time. Although, opening the lid during days 1-18 is the same as momma hen getting off the nest, so I don't think the first sentence is necessary during days 1-18. Did that make any sense to you?

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I think you would need a float valve... Not so sure you could get an IV line to drip slow enough to keep it from overflowing.

4. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    IV bags don't have a float valve. An IV bag is full of fluid with no air, and a tube hangs out of the bottom with a little pinch valve in the middle of the tube. You can turn the valve for fast or slow drip.

5. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry guys, I was just using the IV as an example. It was a small thought, I havent really given it much thought as to what exactly i would use, im not really familiar with valves and stuff.

I guess what i was trying to get at was... something like a dog water bowl. You know how you can fill up the water bucket thingy and it refills the bowl as it empties?

I was thinking of having a bottle or something holding water that fed the water to the incubator so that i wouldnt have to worry about the humidity going haywire while im not home. It would have to drip slow though to make up for the slow evaporation of the water already iin there. Does that make more sense?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by