Anyone try a feeder like this with their ducks

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada

I can get a lid so that would keep most of the feed dry and clean... i want it for outside as were starting to get into our rainy season and snow is on it's way...

The base looks wider than the bucket which would allow rain/snow to build up and make a mess of the feed. You can build a flat roofed station to hang it under (or another feeder) to help protect the food.

When I have watched my ducks eat they seem to scoop the food up a bit. If the base was wide enough to scoop it would probably work but unless it's under a shelter it's not going to keep the food dry.

The base looks wider than the bucket which would allow rain/snow to build up and make a mess of the feed. You can build a flat roofed station to hang it under (or another feeder) to help protect the food.

When I have watched my ducks eat they seem to scoop the food up a bit. If the base was wide enough to scoop it would probably work but unless it's under a shelter it's not going to keep the food dry.

That is true but it's better than the open pans which make up the majority of my feeder styles, need to see it in person... Feeders in bad weather are such a pest to come up with, i'd keep it all in the barn but they will argue and keep some of the little ones out so scratch that...

We use much the same here in France - they are plastic and so cleaning out any residue is easy. I am well aware of the wet mess that ducks are so accustomed to - they tend to eat and then get a mouth full of water and back to the feeders - the feeders are always washed out every day as I do not want to risk and "mouldy food" build up inside the feeders, the lids are slightly larger than the main body of the feeders but the feeders are still wider at the bottom than the top - my ducks have no problem in using these, my geese will also use them to feed from.

I will say however that I would not recommend this for outside feeding as rain and snow will always find a way to get the food wet - maybe have an outside area under cover that you can put the feeder(s) under.

I hate Winter!!!!

Suzie

Back
Top Bottom