Anyone try to return Producers Pride feed?

Don't know what's with it exactly, but my girls absolutely hate it when I buy Producers Pride... especially the organic ones 🤷‍♀️
I buy my feed from TSC. All 4 hens were laying and then 1 stopped, a few weeks later only 1 is laying. I'm looking for my receipt to return a 50 pound bag. It's got me scared. They're still eating it, but dang.
As a person who took and Feeds and Feeding class in college, to learn about feeds the real way, the book Morrison's Feed and Feeding, will explain it all. The old way .
Producers Pride is a grain mill in College Station Texas. I have been there. , Dumor Grain is actually a sub group of Purina. Local formulas are adjusted for local conditions of soils and mineral available, so different locals require different mixes. Producers and Dumor are contracted to make Tractor Supply feeds. Feeds require intrigue formulas and can vary on composition depending on the cost of feeds at that time and availabilities. Availabilities vary by time of year, local. The mills know the feeds nutrients for each animal and that can be obtained by various combinations of feeds. Example, Brewers grain =high proteins, good cost, tastes yucky to some.
Soy bean meal= high protein, very expensive, yummy, price varies due to grain exchange prices. These two can be adjusted to keep the cost the same and the total benefit formula equaling the total needs of each animal . In other words different grain combos to equal same total formula value but could change a factor called Total Digestible Nutrient. TDN is how well it gets into the animals system.
You can always study Morrisons and do the math to make your own formula, local feeds companies can also help you make a formula for your needs if your a bigger farm.
Free Range birds will be affected by your soil
and plants on your property. Will vary from neighbor to neighbor. Have soil and greens tested ( at extension office).
Tractor Supply doesn't own mills just contracts them. I feed Purina branded feeds so far but my girls are teenagers so far this year. That might change when they start laying. I have had birds in New Hampshire, Texas and Mississippi, so very different soils and weather etc. Producers is is Byran Tx

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete
Reactions:la dee da, Luv Ducks, Geena and 1 other person

I was at Tractor Supply and since the last few batches of DuMore pellets I usually feed them has been powdery lately, I noticed a 40lb bag of Producers Pride pellets for 16.50. I also got a 50lb bag of DuMore for 18.99, so very similar in price.

My chickens flat out won’t eat the Priducers Pride. I’ve never seen anything like it. I left it out for three days and while they normally eat the bowl full every day or two, it was almost untouched for three days.
I then tried mixing DuMor with the Producer’s Pride and they just pick out the DuMor pellets.

Has anyone had this experience? Is it reasonable to return the opened Producers Pride bag?

I wouldn’t do this to a feed store, but since this is their in house brand, it seems reasonable.
Got to remembers about the supply chain problems these last two years. Grain stuff is trained into feed mills, rarely it it totally grown in an area but from all over the country. Each region of country grows something different. Corn could be silo stored for years before use. If your in a grain growing area of country, will get better quality because it is fresher but not everyone has that access. Alaskans have to ship in everything etc. vs Iowa folks.

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete

As a person who took and Feeds and Feeding class in college, to learn about feeds the real way, the book Morrison's Feed and Feeding, will explain it all. The old way .
Producers Pride is a grain mill in College Station Texas. I have been there. , Dumor Grain is actually a sub group of Purina. Local formulas are adjusted for local conditions of soils and mineral available, so different locals require different mixes. Producers and Dumor are contracted to make Tractor Supply feeds. Feeds require intrigue formulas and can vary on composition depending on the cost of feeds at that time and availabilities. Availabilities vary by time of year, local. The mills know the feeds nutrients for each animal and that can be obtained by various combinations of feeds. Example, Brewers grain =high proteins, good cost, tastes yucky to some.
Soy bean meal= high protein, very expensive, yummy, price varies due to grain exchange prices. These two can be adjusted to keep the cost the same and the total benefit formula equaling the total needs of each animal . In other words different grain combos to equal same total formula value but could change a factor called Total Digestible Nutrient. TDN is how well it gets into the animals system.
You can always study Morrisons and do the math to make your own formula, local feeds companies can also help you make a formula for your needs if your a bigger farm.
Free Range birds will be affected by your soil
and plants on your property. Will vary from neighbor to neighbor. Have soil and greens tested ( at extension office).
Tractor Supply doesn't own mills just contracts them. I feed Purina branded feeds so far but my girls are teenagers so far this year. That might change when they start laying. I have had birds in New Hampshire, Texas and Mississippi, so very different soils and weather etc. Producers is is Byran Tx

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete
Reactions:la dee da, Luv Ducks, Geena and 1 other person
I goofed Producers Feed Co-Op is in Bryan, Texas. Producer's Pride is a trademark owned by TSC, milled at 60 different mills across the country.

Back
Top Bottom