Chicken feed

Possum-Pie

Songster
Jun 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
This topic comes up every so often but I'm wondering what feed you give your laying hens. I was using Dumore from Rural King and getting a fair amount of eggs. Last Summer I was out of feed and stopped at Tractor Supply and all they had was Producer's Pride. It was awful. Egg production went from 3/day from 4 hens to 1 every other day. Once that feed was used up, I went back to Dumore and got more eggs. Lately I've been buying Country Road feed and with 6 hens I'm getting about 4 eggs/day.
There are many other variables (time of year, stress, etc) so my experiment isn't scientific but I've heard a lot of bad things about Producer's Pride. I have a local feed store and I'm going to try their blend when this bag is done to see how that goes. With feed prices so high, I cant afford to feed birds who won't lay.
I know some folks on the forum make "homemade organic" food, but that is not an option for me. I priced out ingredients and it is way too expensive for 6 hens and one rooster.

I don't feed layer feed, cuz it's only formulated for specific Laying Hens of Production lines. This includes Isa Browns, other varieties of Red Sex-links, & Leghorns. It's not really meant for your regular None High Production hens.

Another reason I don't feed this it is that it's low protein, which is a 16% minimum. I also have roosters/cockerels, & pullets that aren't even laying yet.

I feed 20% Nutrena Naturewise All Flock Pellets, & 20% Purina Flock Raiser feed for everyone. I just keep oyster shells on the side, so the ladies can supplement their own calcium need.

I often see posts about "protein" and how much is adequate. Proteins are made of specific amino acids so talk of "protein" is just too vague. Someone may be giving a balanced amino acid diet of just 16% protein and the hens will be well nourished while someone else may be giving a 20% "protein" diet with all of the wrong amino acids and their chickens will be malnourished. In talking about molting, 75% of the amino acids needed for feather production are "non-essential" meaning the chickens can produce them on their own. The other 25% must come from protein in their food (feed, insects, black fly larvae, etc.)

Naturewise and Flock raiser are both good feed, but not significantly better than Producer's Pride to warrant double the cost!!! Around here they are nearly $26 while Producer's Pride is about $13.

Last edited:
My birds are actually more healthy, & not malnourished on 20% feed. They hold muscle mass, then that of birds on a lower protein feed.

I'm sure they are, MysteryChicken. The feeds you mentioned are well balanced with essential nutrients just as I mentioned...
It's just the cost that puts me off. Side-by-side comparison of the ingredients and the analysis labels doesn't show anything that would warrant charging double the price.

I don't want folks to get the idea that 16% protein is inadequate. Except for chicks, pullets, and broiler hens, 15-18% protein is almost universally seen as adequate. The types I mention tend to need a bit more-18%-20%. I've read in some posts that people give their hens dry cat food to boost their protein. NOT a good idea...

Last edited:
I feed mine Alaska Mill high energy layer feed or poultry ration. It's not the best brand but the organic feed is just too pricy. I've also had good luck with Modesto.

This topic comes up every so often but I'm wondering what feed you give your laying hens. I was using Dumore from Rural King and getting a fair amount of eggs. Last Summer I was out of feed and stopped at Tractor Supply and all they had was Producer's Pride. It was awful. Egg production went from 3/day from 4 hens to 1 every other day. Once that feed was used up, I went back to Dumore and got more eggs. Lately I've been buying Country Road feed and with 6 hens I'm getting about 4 eggs/day.
There are many other variables (time of year, stress, etc) so my experiment isn't scientific but I've heard a lot of bad things about Producer's Pride. I have a local feed store and I'm going to try their blend when this bag is done to see how that goes. With feed prices so high, I cant afford to feed birds who won't lay.
I know some folks on the forum make "homemade organic" food, but that is not an option for me. I priced out ingredients and it is way too expensive for 6 hens and one rooster.
I order Kalmbach's layer crumbles 17% from Chewy. I buy two bags for free shipping. I ferment grain and do sprouts so btwn the two they're getting way over the amt of protein they need, but these are silkies who need a bit extra. I give them this nearly daily in the winter, and only twice a week or so in the summer.

Wow, sounds like folks go for the more expensive feed. Modesto is over $40 and Alaska Mill is $32. I couldn't afford either of them.
We have chickens to be more self-sufficient and to save $$. I figure if my eggs cost $2 or less per dozen, and my hens keep laying the jumbo large eggs, it's worth keeping them but If I had to buy $40 food every month my eggs would end up costing me about $4/dozen, that's more than the store-bought around here. As it is, my current Country Road feed costs me about $13/month so my eggs are costing me about $1.30/dozen. None of that is counting the treats that they sometimes get, Black fly larvae, or occasional cracked corn. Anyone have high egg production with a more economical feed?

Correct, Brooks. I bought Dumore from T.S. then when Rural King opened a store near me I switched to Country Road. When I ran out of that I bought Producer's Pride from TC and it was horrible. Thanks for clarifying

Back
Top Bottom