Cracked corn feed

Meweber

Chirping
Apr 12, 2022
Wanting some opinions on Feed. I have year and a half old hens who have been on Purina Layena crumbles only after their starter feed . I recently went to my local grain elevator to start getting Feed there because I can get so much more for cheaper cost. they sell a homemade feed with local ingredients with cracked corn in it, I was a little concerned when I first opened the bag because it basically looks like minimal fine powder and mostly cracked corn. Just a little concerned about this being mostly corn. Anyone feed something similar or have any issues with it? Thanks for your input!

Wanting some opinions on Feed. I have year and a half old hens who have been on Purina Layena crumbles only after their starter feed . I recently went to my local grain elevator to start getting Feed there because I can get so much more for cheaper cost. they sell a homemade feed with local ingredients with cracked corn in it, I was a little concerned when I first opened the bag because it basically looks like minimal fine powder and mostly cracked corn. Just a little concerned about this being mostly corn. Anyone feed something similar or have any issues with it? Thanks for your input!
Pictures of the feed, & label/ingredients tag if possible?

Without nutrition/ingredient label couldn't tell you much about feed by just looking at it.

Just curious… is there some kind of advantage to feeding cracked corn versus whole grain?
I thought my 7 week chicks might be too small for whole grain corn, but they seem to relish it and are thriving IMO.

it basically looks like minimal fine powder and mostly cracked corn. Just a little concerned about this being mostly corn.
A feed that is mostly corn can be a big problem, or it can be completely fine, depending on what else is in the feed.

Was there a label with nutrition information? If there was no label, I don't think anyone here will be able to tell if the feed is good or not. But if there was a label, and you post a picture of it, there are several people who can tell if the feed is nutritionally acceptable for laying hens, or if there is some problem.

Just curious… is there some kind of advantage to feeding cracked corn versus whole grain?
I thought my 7 week chicks might be too small for whole grain corn, but they seem to relish it and are thriving IMO.
Mine relish Styrofoam... 🤣
Corn is generally regarded as a calorie filler but with the right mix its fine.

Cracked corn has the germ removed. The germ is where the protein is. I suspect somebody came in and ordered the formula and so the elevator is selling it as an acceptable mix. This is how I got my mineral mix from my elevator, a recipe from one of the local sheep herders.

I think I would use this "feed" as a treat and go buy something better.
The protein isn't located exclusively in the Germ of the corn or any grain and cracked corn does not have the Germ removed, it is what it's called: cracked, by rollers.

Back
Top Bottom