Feeding with fermented corn

The corn you buy from an elevator or store could be a year old. This is why it's better to buy whole corn than cracked corn.

I feed whole grains to my chickens and they eat the corn first. I think if given a choice, they would stuff down any amount of corn before they would go for wheat, oats, or plant life. Everyone loves corn. It has been domesticated for a very long time and is high in carbohydrates/sugar so it tastes good. Dogs love corn and they are carnivores. I love corn, you love corn, horses, cows, goats, and sheep love corn.

Egg laying is a involuntary process called ovulation, it is not affected by diet unless the diet is poor (or stress) and it stops or slows down since its more important for something to live than to reproduce during that time. It can't be started or sped up without the introduction of additional hormones.
Corn is is high in carbs, sugar and fat and low in protein and necessary nutrients. It's not bad as a treat or as a filler for most livestock feed which has other ingredients to make a nutritionally sound and balanced feed but can't be considered a fulfilling ration.
To feed a lopsided diet that's high in carbs, sugar and fat to anything (even us) will cause health issues such as: reduced fertility, vitamin deficiency, low energy, low strength, organ failure, obesity and shortened lifespan.
Chickens desperately need protein in their diet, not only do they lay eggs which are mostly protein, but they have feathers, muscle, organs, etc, all which requires protein to maintain. To feed an average 16-17% feed and also allow access to carb and fat high filler, will dilute their daily nutrition and cause the already mentioned health issues.

I have been reading this for years. but in my experience I didn't get many eggs when I had my chickens on the chicken feed only. not to mention those eggs were tasteless. foraging and corn/wheat/barly (in summer oats as well) make difference for me.

as I live in a different country maybe our corn is different from yours?

Unfortunately, I think your vet might want to read a few more research papers on it before passing info to others.
Corn, usually Dent type corn here, retains it's nutrition for quite sometime, give, most things stay fresher longer in their whole state but cracked corn is minimally processed, the nutrition will last about a year with proper handling. Corn, has minimal meaningful nutrition, so it's best to keep it to a minimum.

my vet is a university professor. I guess he studied more than chicken keepers.

Just because he is a vet doesn't mean he keeps up to date. Just because he is a university professor doesn't mean he keeps up to date.

really? what has been he doing at seminars and conferences in several european's countries every year? you want to say that entire europe is not up to date and you are. sorry for asking, but what is your profession?

I have been reading this for years. but in my experience I didn't get many eggs when I had my chickens on the chicken feed only. not to mention those eggs were tasteless. foraging and corn/wheat/barly (in summer oats as well) make difference for me.

Since mine forage a lot I wonder if the nutrient balance is off due to the foraging. Like are they getting too much protein from bugs but not enough carbs from the feed. They really pump out eggs when I give them lots of corn.

I found a grain silo that actually sells chicken feed and they have wheat too. Said they can get oats at certain times too. So your chickens seem happy with a corn/wheat blend? Like a half half blend?

I wonder if they get less nutrition from the corn husks being on or if the reduced nutrition from cracked corn means better absorption.

It's the foraging that makes a difference, corn is what is fed to all types of livestock to "uniform" and mellow the flavor, depending on the chicken feed, if its average 16% feed and it's any great age, the nutrition can be less than advertised. Corn is corn. However, if you're in the eu or uk, average chicken feed can be lacking, the labeling laws there aren't as stringent. Most feeds have added amino acids to make up for the low protein but not all feeds.
my vet is a university professor. I guess he studied more than chicken keepers.
You'd think that, but it often doesn't work out that way. Most "professionals" across many professions tend to coast on their lofty position and reputation. The highly interested hobbiest can likely hold their own quite well against a "professional", given we have time and genuine investment in our animals welfare.

Chickengr, you never wrote that he goes to seminars and conferences all over Europe. But aside from that, we are conversing about a specific topic that he may not be up to date on. Veterinary medicine is more diverse than human medicine because they take care of so many different species.

I am not saying that he is a "bad" vet, but nobody knows all things in all areas.

Since mine forage a lot I wonder if the nutrient balance is off due to the foraging. Like are they getting too much protein from bugs but not enough carbs from the feed. They really pump out eggs when I give them lots of corn.

I found a grain silo that actually sells chicken feed and they have wheat too. Said they can get oats at certain times too. So your chickens seem happy with a corn/wheat blend? Like a half half blend?

I wonder if they get less nutrition from the corn husks being on or if the reduced nutrition from cracked corn means better absorption.

I just dump corn and wheat on the field and they eat as much as they want to. at night I have dogs watch the property so no mice/rat problem here, in winter when it is cold I give them some barley as well.

Chickengr, you never wrote that he goes to seminars and conferences all over Europe. But aside from that, we are conversing about a specific topic that he may not be up to date on. Veterinary medicine is more diverse than human medicine because they take care of so many different species.

I am not saying that he is a "bad" vet, but nobody knows all things in all areas.

my chickens don't know to read and don't understand what people say. they just don't always eat cracked corn (my lucky guess is when it is not freshly cracked) but they always pick all the whole corn. I don't trust everything I read as anyone can publish anything. I have been watching my chickens for about 9 years now. I tried different feeds and the best results I have is whole grains/foraging. when I collect eggs for hatching I do give them some layers mash as well.

Back
Top Bottom