Feeding with fermented corn

Jan 25, 2023
I've got 10 hens and have been giving them fermented cracked corn for a few weeks now. They also have access to their pellet feed. They also free range and find bugs all over, part of their job is to reduce the big population here.

Is there any issue with feeding them all the fermented cracked corn they can eat when I get home from work? The rest of the day they have pellet feed and forage.

I've noticed they lay more eggs when I give them more cracked corn and vice versa. I'm just concerned about nutrition. I'm not sure if they are stupid like us and will eat too much corn then starve themselves of nutrients.

Plain Corn should really be considered a treat and treats should be given sparingly, once or twice a week, less than 1 tablespoon per bird.
It won't make them lay more eggs and yes, it can greatly affect their health and life span.

whole corn is better than than cracked, fermented or not. I feed mine whole grains and they roam on the half acre for the rest. if your chickens are confined they need commercial feed.

whole corn is better than than cracked, fermented or not. I feed mine whole grains and they roam on the half acre for the rest. if your chickens are confined they need commercial feed.
How is whole corn better than cracked?
Unfortunatly, unless someone lives where there are flocks of feral chickens, the land cannot support your average modern dual purpose bird, like most people have.

How is whole corn better than cracked?
Unfortunatly, unless someone lives where there are flocks of feral chickens, the land cannot support your average modern dual purpose bird, like most people have.

only fresh cracked corn (within 2-3 days) keep all the nutrients. my vet told me that. I didn't ask how and why.

I have 18 hybrid dual purpose chickens (black rock and blue haze) and they bomb me with eggs. besides them I have other chickens, geese, ducks and turkeys (over 100 birds).

in my climate we have loads of centipedes, different insects, snakes, small reptiles, etc. only in hot months we are short of grass but have stuff from garden and plenty of figs to supplement their feed. they get some eggs as well.

Maybe I should get full corn. It doesn't make much of a difference to me.

I don't have a source of whole grains so it's just corn for right now. Sounds like your chickens do well on it.
Plain Corn should really be considered a treat and treats should be given sparingly, once or twice a week, less than 1 tablespoon per bird.
It won't make them lay more eggs and yes, it can greatly affect their health and life span.
I've conducted experiments and a full belly of corn before bed = more eggs. Without the corn it's less eggs.

They have free choice and don't have enough corn left over in the morning to feed them so they have to forage or eat the chicken feed. Also a lot of chicken feed is corn.

Maybe I should get full corn. It doesn't make much of a difference to me.

I don't have a source of whole grains so it's just corn for right now. Sounds like your chickens do well on it.

I've conducted experiments and a full belly of corn before bed = more eggs. Without the corn it's less eggs.

They have free choice and don't have enough corn left over in the morning to feed them so they have to forage or eat the chicken feed. Also a lot of chicken feed is corn.
Egg laying is a involuntary process called ovulation, it is not affected by diet unless the diet is poor (or stress) and it stops or slows down since its more important for something to live than to reproduce during that time. It can't be started or sped up without the introduction of additional hormones.
Corn is is high in carbs, sugar and fat and low in protein and necessary nutrients. It's not bad as a treat or as a filler for most livestock feed which has other ingredients to make a nutritionally sound and balanced feed but can't be considered a fulfilling ration.
To feed a lopsided diet that's high in carbs, sugar and fat to anything (even us) will cause health issues such as: reduced fertility, vitamin deficiency, low energy, low strength, organ failure, obesity and shortened lifespan.
Chickens desperately need protein in their diet, not only do they lay eggs which are mostly protein, but they have feathers, muscle, organs, etc, all which requires protein to maintain. To feed an average 16-17% feed and also allow access to carb and fat high filler, will dilute their daily nutrition and cause the already mentioned health issues.

Egg laying is a involuntary process called ovulation, it is not affected by diet unless the diet is poor (or stress) and it stops or slows down since its more important for something to live than to reproduce during that time. It can't be started or sped up without the introduction of additional hormones.
Corn is is high in carbs, sugar and fat and low in protein and necessary nutrients. It's not bad as a treat or as a filler for most livestock feed which has other ingredients to make a nutritionally sound and balanced feed but can't be considered a fulfilling ration.
To feed a lopsided diet that's high in carbs, sugar and fat to anything (even us) will cause health issues such as: reduced fertility, vitamin deficiency, low energy, low strength, organ failure, obesity and shortened lifespan.
Chickens desperately need protein in their diet, not only do they lay eggs which are mostly protein, but they have feathers, muscle, organs, etc, all which requires protein to maintain. To feed an average 16-17% feed and also allow access to carb and fat high filler, will dilute their daily nutrition and cause the already mentioned health issues.
I understand that but since they are free ranging and have access to regular chicken feed then will they only eat so much corn then move onto eating bugs, plants, and the feed during the day when they don't have access to corn? They do eat a lot of the high protein all flock feed and tend to ignore the laying hen food.

Are they dumb enough to eat corn till they starve nutritionally or will they move to eat what they need? They have access to the high protein all over the place, my place is swarming with bugs.

only fresh cracked corn (within 2-3 days) keep all the nutrients. my vet told me that. I didn't ask how and why.
Unfortunately, I think your vet might want to read a few more research papers on it before passing info to others.
Corn, usually Dent type corn here, retains it's nutrition for quite sometime, give, most things stay fresher longer in their whole state but cracked corn is minimally processed, the nutrition will last about a year with proper handling. Corn, has minimal meaningful nutrition, so it's best to keep it to a minimum.

I understand that but since they are free ranging and have access to regular chicken feed then will they only eat so much corn then move onto eating bugs, plants, and the feed during the day when they don't have access to corn? They do eat a lot of the high protein all flock feed and tend to ignore the laying hen food.

Are they dumb enough to eat corn till they starve nutritionally or will they move to eat what they need? They have access to the high protein all over the place, my place is swarming with bugs.
Some chickens can moderate their nutrition, some can't. It's really up the individual bird. Chickens are like little kids, they want the tasty junk food (treats) and not the veggies and pot roast (formulated food), omnivores naturally crave fat, sugar, salt and carbs, the problem is portion control, too much and game over.

Back
Top Bottom