Winter feed?

Jun 2, 2023
Hi, this is my first winter with chickens. I’m on the mid west coast. My hens have all ceased laying for the winter they are about a year old. I just need some opinions on wether I should continue to feed layer pellets or if I should switch to a chick feed with free choice oyster shells. I plan to give a 5 seed scratch with cracked corn as I helps the body produce heat. I just don’t want to give them too much calcium when they aren’t using it. The chick feed would make things easier as I have younger birds and roosters with my hens. Pics for fun😊

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpeg
    IMG_2700.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2590.jpeg
    IMG_2590.jpeg
    632.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2584.jpeg
    IMG_2584.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    927.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi, this is my first winter with chickens. I’m on the mid west coast. My hens have all ceased laying for the winter they are about a year old. I just need some opinions on wether I should continue to feed layer pellets or if I should switch to a chick feed with free choice oyster shells. I plan to give a 5 seed scratch with cracked corn as I helps the body produce heat. I just don’t want to give them too much calcium when they aren’t using it. The chick feed would make things easier as I have younger birds and roosters with my hens. Pics for fun😊
I would go with the chick starter and free choice oyster shells.

They do not really need scratch or corn. Any feed will help their bodies produce heat-- including the chick starter, which usually contains large amounts of corn and other grains.

I find that corn is really important for chickens in the last few weeks of fall and early winter. It helps them build up body fat that will keep them warm during the cold months of winter. During the winter when most of my chickens stop laying, I go with half chick starter and half layer feed and also stop giving them half scratch grains half layer feed - although more favoring the layer feed though - more of a 60% - 40% ratio. I have almost 100 chickens, so some of the younger ones continue to lay! I'm very happy about this! 😊 That means that I don't have to buy eggs from the store - they just taste so different in a bad way!! 😝🍳

I find that corn is really important for chickens in the last few weeks of fall and early winter. It helps them build up body fat that will keep them warm during the cold months of winter. During the winter when most of my chickens stop laying, I go with half chick starter and half layer feed and also stop giving them half scratch grains half layer feed - although more favoring the layer feed though - more of a 60% - 40% ratio. I have almost 100 chickens, so some of the younger ones continue to lay! I'm very happy about this! 😊 That means that I don't have to buy eggs from the store - they just taste so different in a bad way!! 😝🍳
I love that! So many feather friends. I have about 10 free ranging currently. I give them about 4 cups of layer crumble and 1 cup of scratch or corn, sometimes 2 cups if it’s cold and frosty. I find that they have more interest in their feed is there’s tasty treats inside😂 they are all a good weight except one. She’s a pig and I’m not sure what to do about it lol

Thank you so much for these reply’s! I’ll go with the chick feed and oyster shells. I’ll still mix some seed scratch in with their feed as it definitely encourages them to eat more feed instead of grass. If I notice they’re looking cold or loosing weight I’ll add oatmeal or corn to their feed. It’s been in the 30’s at night which is not too cold, but they’re my babies so I worry anyway😂

Thank you so much for these reply’s! I’ll go with the chick feed and oyster shells. I’ll still mix some seed scratch in with their feed as it definitely encourages them to eat more feed instead of grass. If I notice they’re looking cold or loosing weight I’ll add oatmeal or corn to their feed. It’s been in the 30’s at night which is not too cold, but they’re my babies so I worry anyway😂
Actually, mixing it in with their feed encouragles them to throw out the feed to get to the treat. Oatmeal isn't great for them, but you can make a warm mash out of their feed. ;]

Actually, mixing it in with their feed encouragles them to throw out the feed to get to the treat. Oatmeal isn't great for them, but you can make a warm mash out of their feed. ;]
I have a large tray under their feeder that catches anything that gets kicked out. Either way I feed them enough that they finish almost all of it in a day. Not much is left behind. I did know oatmeal wasn’t good, I do remember reading it’s a great carb supplement for thin hens or if it’s snowing and very cold. If I were to give them any it would be a treat. Maybe half a cup for my 10 hens

I have a large tray under their feeder that catches anything that gets kicked out. Either way I feed them enough that they finish almost all of it in a day. Not much is left behind. I did know oatmeal wasn’t good, I do remember reading it’s a great carb supplement for thin hens or if it’s snowing and very cold. If I were to give them any it would be a treat. Maybe half a cup for my 10 hens
The tray is a great idea! But scratch doesn't actually keep them warm, it's a myth. :] high protein treats would be great for your poorly hens but yes, they love it as a great treat.

The tray is a great idea! But scratch doesn't actually keep them warm, it's a myth. :] high protein treats would be great for your poorly hens but yes, they love it as a great treat.
Oh that’s really helpful, I actually grow my own mealworms for my reptiles. I could definitely give them as chicken treats too. They eat a lot of the spiders at our house and I’ve even caught them with mice and lizards before. So I’m sure they’d love them lol

Back
Top Bottom