Non layer feed question

Wisconsinted

Chirping
Jun 28, 2023
Hello, It's winter now in Wisconsin and my chickens switched to layer feed about 2 months ago. However, I supplement with snacks which is a cracked corn/sunflower seed/mealworm mix. The freak out over it and love it, but it seems they don't eat the layer at the same rate. How often should I supplement this? I used to give them a bunch of grass and clover from my yard when I was at work and not letting them out of their run, which is unfortunately most days. I have just heard that you can overfeed this stuff. For winter I want them to eat and stay warm but how often should I supplement with this?

One is laying every day still. The other 2 have looked close for 2 months now. All barred rock pullets bought as chicks the first weekend in June.

Hello, It's winter now in Wisconsin and my chickens switched to layer feed about 2 months ago. However, I supplement with snacks which is a cracked corn/sunflower seed/mealworm mix. The freak out over it and love it, but it seems they don't eat the layer at the same rate. How often should I supplement this? I used to give them a bunch of grass and clover from my yard when I was at work and not letting them out of their run, which is unfortunately most days. I have just heard that you can overfeed this stuff. For winter I want them to eat and stay warm but how often should I supplement with this?
if there eating more supplement feed then layer feed you need to supplement less but grass and other greens and fruit are fine but if like there eating mor treats and not consuming enough of layer feed then change it up but if there eating enough dont

...it seems they don't eat the layer at the same rate. ...
Is the snack fed the same way as the layer feed? Like, in a feeder they can access all the time

Because, if not, it may be the social aspects of snack time more than what feed it is...

Mine will beg with exceedingly great expression - come running, jump up and down many times, fly up to look at us directly, look pointedly at their bowls, eat from our hands, knock food out of our hands, knock each other out of the way, chirp, coo, and other sounds with urgency, and so on...

All for food they already have in their bowls.

Food they've eaten happily for their entire lives. And that they always have available.

Cracked corn is the corn kernel with the germ removed. The germ is where the protein is. It's like you are feeding them candy. They would be better served if you omitted the corn. There is plenty of corn in commercial feed.

Back
Top Bottom