When to switch from chick starter?

Rebecca11

Hatching
Feb 14, 2024
Two questions….

First, what age should I switch my chicks from chick start to a regular feed?

Second, the feed store I’ve been buying from doesn’t have a “regular” chicken feed, would I switch them to the broiler grower until they are ready for layer pellets or should I go to tractor supply to find a different feed?

Attachments

• IMG_8320.png
    IMG_8320.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 30
Two questions….

First, what age should I switch my chicks from chick start to a regular feed?
I'd feed them the chick starter until the bag runs out as long as they are at least 4 weeks old. They can eat the starter until they are ready to lay if you wish or even forever. Just offer oyster shell on the side once they hit laying age. That could be as young as 16 weeks but probably will be later. If you offer it free choice they should only eat what they need, either for growth or eventually for egg shells.

Second, the feed store I’ve been buying from doesn’t have a “regular” chicken feed, would I switch them to the broiler grower until they are ready for layer pellets or should I go to tractor supply to find a different feed?
I don't see anything wrong with that broiler grower. What percent protein is your chick starter?

The broiler grower is what I'd likely switch to. 19% protein and it's cheaper than the starter. Or if you are satisfied with the starter, just stay with that.

You can switch to layer once they're close to/start laying, or stay with the starter or grower and supplement oyster shell on the side.

You don't have to ever switch. Many who have young in their flock who raise with broody hens just feed the whole flock by the youngest member. As such the flock get chick starter most of the time.
Just provide a source of calcium on the side for the layers.
It's fine this way as any roosters aren't being forced to eat excess calcium and starter is higher in protein than most layer feeds generally speaking.

Back
Top Bottom