What to feed?

ellchr3

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2023
South Carolina
Hi all. I have a 7 month old flock of 16 hens and 2 roosters (they were misgendered at the hatchery). I've read not to provide a layer feed since the roosters can't handle the calcium, but I still have the entire flock on chick starter and supplement calcium in a separate container. I also provide treats such as meal worms, wheat fodder, and scratch grains.

I also have a pecking/cannibalism issue I'm trying to nip in the bud and want to make sure their nutrition isn't a part of the reason for it.

Is it ok to still be giving chick starter with the oyster shell as an option for the hens or do I really need to switch to an all flock?

Thanks!

Hi all. I have a 7 month old flock of 16 hens and 2 roosters (they were misgendered at the hatchery). I've read not to provide a layer feed since the roosters can't handle the calcium, but I still have the entire flock on chick starter and supplement calcium in a separate container. I also provide treats such as meal worms, wheat fodder, and scratch grains.

I also have a pecking/cannibalism issue I'm trying to nip in the bud and want to make sure their nutrition isn't a part of the reason for it.

Is it ok to still be giving chick starter with the oyster shell as an option for the hens or do I really need to switch to an all flock?

Thanks!
You're fine to continue using up the chick starter and doing exactly what you're doing with the calcium. Then I'd switch to all flock.

Maybe go a little less on the scratch so they get more protein in the feed would help too.

Thanks!
well, the chick starter is good, but if you plan on getting eggs, then you may want to add some egg layer to the rations. to help with the cannibalism, you can make your own or buy poultry anti-pick spray. my hen's had a problem when one got hurt, but a few sprays of anti-pick, and the chicken healed fine.

You're fine to continue using up the chick starter and doing exactly what you're doing with the calcium. Then I'd switch to all flock.

Maybe go a little less on the scratch so they get more protein in the feed would help too.
I don't provide much scratch. Just 2-3 small handfuls when I do it. I try to rotate through the treats and also skip a day here and there on that.

What type of all flock is decent?

well, the chick starter is good, but if you plan on getting eggs, then you may want to add some egg layer to the rations. to help with the cannibalism, you can make your own or buy poultry anti-pick spray. my hen's had a problem when one got hurt, but a few sprays of anti-pick, and the chicken healed fine.
I've been getting eggs since the second week of December. Out of 16 hens I've averaged about 9 a day. I've tried the anti pick spray too, but didn't notice much of a difference. The instructions say to apply 3-4 times a day, but there's no way I can do that.

I don't provide much scratch. Just 2-3 small handfuls when I do it. I try to rotate through the treats and also skip a day here and there on that.

What type of all flock is decent?
I use the Kalmbachs Flock Maker, 20% only because our TSC doesn't stock crumbles in all flock, but they have one in pellets at 17% protein.

What protein is the chick starter? Chick starter is perfectly fine, it's often better protein and cheaper than all flock, but cut back on the treats.
How big of coop do they have?
Layer feed is not necessary for egg laying.
I believe about 18 percent, but I'd need to double check. I buy from a local mill and they grind/mix it. The coop is 4x8 and about 6 ft high. The run is 8x16. Overcrowding is likely a factor in the pecking and I'm working on expanding as soon as we get halfway decent weather. In the mean time I removed one of the most injured and a hen that appeared to be the biggest aggressor and have them isolated. I have 2 other hens that are being pecked pretty bad that I'm planning on building a couple more isolation pens for them to get away and heal up..

I believe about 18 percent, but I'd need to double check. I buy from a local mill and they grind/mix it. The coop is 4x8 and about 6 ft high. The run is 8x16. Overcrowding is likely a factor in the pecking and I'm working on expanding as soon as we get halfway decent weather. In the mean time I removed one of the most injured and a hen that appeared to be the biggest aggressor and have them isolated. I have 2 other hens that are being pecked pretty bad that I'm planning on building a couple more isolation pens for them to get away and heal up..
Good idea, I would say it's from cramped conditions and boredom.
Sprays won't help, unfortunately. Pinless peepers might until you can fix the run.

Back
Top Bottom