Anyone up for a Hatchalong?

hello everyone, i havent been on this thread in some time, just soooo busy.
today is day 47 for my 3 eggs, one is chirping and scratching and i do believe will be hatching soon! ( i am SOO nervous)
also, if it hatches sometime tonight i am a little unprepared, i only have betadine scrub, and unfortunetly it might not be 100% sterile and uncontaminated. is there anything else i can use on the belly buttons of the chick if it hatches before i get to the store tomorrow??
can i use the betadine i have, or rubbing alcohol? peroxide?

thanks!!

you only need betadine (or a 7% iodine solution) if the navel is open... if it's closed up you really don't need to swab it.. though some people still do

gentain violet also works.. but most people don't have it on hand since iodine solution seems to be easier to find in most drugstores .. I think gentain violet stains even more than iodine does!

Last edited:
ok, i couldnt use that wound kote stuff that is real purple/blue could i?

and also, i had to modify my incubator (mini fridge-home made) and put some hardwire cloth in there, i had to put duct tape in a couple spots that were sharp on the edges, when i opened the incubator it smelled a little like the tape just from the heat, it wasnt melting or anything but it was just heated up and a little smell... that wont be of any harm for them to breathe would it? i hope i dont sound silly lol.

That is weird
I can't see Irine's video, it just looks like a blank post
sad.png

ok, i couldnt use that wound kote stuff that is real purple/blue could i?

and also, i had to modify my incubator (mini fridge-home made) and put some hardwire cloth in there, i had to put duct tape in a couple spots that were sharp on the edges, when i opened the incubator it smelled a little like the tape just from the heat, it wasnt melting or anything but it was just heated up and a little smell... that wont be of any harm for them to breathe would it? i hope i dont sound silly lol.

7% iodine is the preferred treatment.. so let me ask this.. how did your betadine get contaminated?...
I'm not familiar with wound kote so I don't know what else may be in it..

I have used straight pure gentain violet (at the advice of a vet) when I had a litter of puppies come early and also on a foal that was born the same day (I had loaned out my iodine and never saw it again.. so another bottle was on order).. but I still prefer the 7% iodine or betadine surgical scrub
gentain violet can be used on wounds and is amazing for fungus (ringworm especially).. but the staining is horrible and it's a second place choice for navels compared to iodine... so if the iodine you have is ok I would suggust you use it if the navels are open

lol.. I have the worst luck with loaning out things.. one neighbor sold one of my incubators at a yard sale while I was away (never had my permission to sell it)..books have never come back.. a "friend" sold the lawn mower that I let them borrow and some things get lost/thrown out when they are done with them and they never are replaced by the borrower.. you would think that MAYBE some day I would learn

I have no idea about the odor from the duct tape.. does the mini fridge have plenty of ventilation?

What do I do, if anything, for a chick that is tryin to hatch before its ready? Egg A made a hole in the membrane but since it apparently isn't ready it's making itself bleed...pretty bad too. It's inside the shell & even ran down the outside. It still whistles but it can't be ready to come out because it has a bunch of blood filled veins everywhere, anywhere it rips the membrane bleeds & bleeds...

Wow.. I miss posts for a day and then end up missing the biggest news of all.. CONGRATS ON THE TWO WIGGLERS!!!!!!!!!!

lol.. Polli it's about darn time!

Thanks so much!!! still 2 wigglers,,, today I set 6 more eggs!!! ah lets hope!... I got a pair or emus with a local guy, pay $250 for the 2,,, think got a male and a female, 1 month and 20 days old.... these where raised outside with their parents. Looks so healthy!wiskey and tequila!!!! love these emus!!!

Back
Top Bottom