Anyone use goats for brush clearing?

My sister neede a fenceline cleared a few years back, so I got 2 boer billies and hobbled them along that fenceline. They cleared it out in about 4 weeks. I just moved the stakes when they got done with an area. Had to keep a water bowl by each of them.

Why do the goats need liability insurance?
You get insurance because your equipment might damage something.
What are the goats going to do? eat power lines? (unlikely) eat people? run over their car? Cause a slip and fall?
I don't see the negligence problem?

having said that, try Farmer's Union. If anyone does, they will.

LoneCowboy, there are some concerns about liability, because the goats are usually working near roads in a rather densely populated urban area. The current owner told me a story that made my hair stand on end..not long ago a deer apparently crashed through one of her temporary fences, and the goats ended up following right out onto a busy boulevard. They ended up on the side of the road, around a blind-curve. Thank heavens nobody struck them with their car or got into an accident, but I can just see the lawsuits if something like that were to happen!

Also, her customers often have children who want to go "see the goats" and have even opened the fence to get in there and pet them. As far as I know, she doesn't make customers sign a waiver freeing her from liability if a child were accidentally injured. That also makes me nervous! The goats are sweet and gentle, but when startled or held, can tend to kick (They are mostly Boer, and fairly strong!).

gig.gif
Cowboy, I've seen some full grown billies do some pretty good numbers on fences, vehicles, sheds, and even trees. Depending on where they are, insurance might not be a bad idea.

Somebody in my area has a "rent-a-goat" company. He puts up a temporary fence up with a sign that says "Goats At Work"...its a great idea for rocky, steep areas beside roads that can't be mowed.
Stephanie

Back
Top Bottom