Anyone use high gluten flour? Messed up and bought some...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by kbarrett, Dec 20, 2009.

1. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I shop at a local store that packages their own cooking/ baking supplies. I grabbed a bag of flour off the All Purpose shelf and didn't check the label...it's High Gluten flour instead of AP. Does anyone use it and what for? I googled it and it seems many pizza crusts require it but that's not something I usually make. The intended purpose was Christmas cookies but I was afraid to use it.
    Thanks!

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    It is mostly used for making yeast breads but Alton Brown uses it to make his cookies. He says that the high gluten flour makes chewer cookies. I use it when I'm making my chocolate chip cookies.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep yeast breads as t is considered a bread flour. I have a very easy yummy crusty french bread recipe I can post if you like. I usually make a cheesy garlic bread out oif it but you can do a plain one.

Never tried cookies with it, actually I use regular organic flour and add glutten to it to make my flour high gluten but same difference.

I am sure you can make cookies with it just fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the replies!

I think I'll try choc. chip cookies with it, what the heck I have over 5lbs of it.

I would love the recipe for your crusty french bread! Just make sure you're very specific in directions... I'm not that experienced with yeast breads. I can make the sticky buns and I recently tried a dinner roll recipe that turned out well. I have a bread machine which I use to mix dough but my stand mixer is a combo cordless one that doesn't have the power to mix dough.

Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by