Anyone use pop bottle drinkers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by elem, Jan 27, 2010.

1. elem

elem Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Vancouver
    I have been trying to switch my chickens to the push-in nipple waterers but no luck so far. If I sit there tapping the red part one of them will come over and drink the water that comes out but otherwise they are not interested. I was looking at other types of waterers and I saw these ones http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_item_4449_universal-pop-bottle-water.htm and I also found some that are cast aluminum on the Stromberg's site.

Who has tried them? Do they leak? How long do they last?

2. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    We have some we use on breeder cages. They work pretty good with the 16 oz water bottles, but forget the 2 liter bottles. They are too big to stay vertical and the water runs all over or else not at all.

I heard that the snap on types are better than the threaded ones.

Hope this helps!

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    We use the pop-bottle waterers for our Seramas which work very well. I use the mini glass gingerale bottles and just snap them onto the bottles. I got them from gundogsupply.com which had them far cheaper than anyone else. I noticed that slightly angling the bottles in the waterers keeps it flowing better too. Ours never leak either.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I get mine for Culter. 12 for $8.95, the only bottle that doesn't work is the new coke bottles with the shorter neck, but if you get them get extra springs, they have a habbit of snapping and you can't find them right away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by