Anyone use Soft Paws for their cats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickenToes, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I would love to hear what people think of Soft Paws. I took in a stray kitten a few months ago, and I really don't want to have her declawed.

The cat doesn't really claw much, but sometimes she smacks our dog in the face, right by her eyes. I would love to avoid eye surgery if at all possible.

2. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    Quote:Our's had theirs off in about 1-2 days.. We couldn't ever get them to work correctly. [​IMG]

Hopefully you'll have more success!

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I did for a few weeks... unfortunately same thing happens to their nails that does ours when you cover them with superglue & fake nails..

they turn brittle, split & sore.

it's NOT a good long term solution, IMO

4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Since cats shed the outer portion of their claws regularly, the Soft Paws would be shed with them. Try trimming the needle tips of their claws with regular human nail clippers, but be careful not to quick them. Just take off the sharp tip. Of course, trimming will have to be done regularly, but it's easy and eliminates the (shudder) idea of declawing.

5. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

I had wanted to use these on a new house cat we got so I asked our groomer about them and she said that they work but do not stay on long. She told us to just clip her nails every two weeks and it works. The cat does't really like but it's working.

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i LOVE mine.. if you get the correct size.. there should be NO irratation.. i think there is 5 different sizes.. and i will also trim them to fit.. every cat is different, every nail is different.. i trim the soft paws to fit each nail...
    and if you use enough glue, and the right type.... i never had, NOT ONE come off before a full month.. my personal cats wear them for about 6 weeks i cut them off and let their nails "air-out" for 2 days and then re-apply..
    and all my client(that use them)... like them... the down side to them is you have to re-apply them monthly... where de-clawing is ONCE and you never have to worry about it again..

they should be cut off after 2 months if they have not shed off with the nail... i have seen a nail WITH a softpaw on it grow in a compleate circle and back around and grow into the pad.... stupid lazy owners fault for not keeping an eye on the claws

i dont like the dog ones.. i used them on my toypoodle because i thought they were cute... but with them on she walked funny and it started to break her feet down.. so i do NOT reccomend them for dogs... TRAINING not to jump on people, is the other option for dogs...

7. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I refuse to ever declaw a cat. I know of cats that were sore for months after a poor declaw and some whose personality actually changed permanently ... and not for the better.

I used to use the soft paws all the time on my 3 cats in my grooming salon. I loved them. They were cute and saved my furniture and the clients dogs. I rarely had them fall off too soon. I had one cat that hated them and always did her best to chew them off. Even hers usually stayed on pretty well. You have to be sure, as was mentioned previously, that you have the right size and follow the directions when you apply them. If you do not use the right type and amount of glue, or neglect to trim the nail before applying (or trim it too short), the caps will not stay on.

I have never tried the ones for dogs. I dremmel my dogs' nails and keep them too short, they would never stay on. Besides, they are not needed when the nails are kept up with. I love them for cats though, I think they are great!

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Hmm...from what I've been reading it seems like some people love them and some people hate them, so I think I'll buy some and try them out. Maybe they'll work for us.

I do trim the cat's nails, but it seems like she sharpens them again so fast it almost seems like a waste of time.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:this is very normal 'interspecies communication' -- she may not even be *using* her claws. Many (most? I don't ahve statistics) cats have a clawless velvet-paw smack that they use in situations that do not warrant claws -- to discipline animal or human friends who've stepped mildly over the cat's line of comfort, or to train human kids.

Personally I'd just take extra care to keep the claws well clipped (maybe do a touch-up job every couple days, whereas most cat owners let it go considerably longer... remember claws go from 'clipped blunt' [even filed smooth, if you enjoy that sort of thing and take the time to train the cat to put up with it] to 'needle-sharp' very suddenly, when the old layer of claw is shed through scratching.)

And let the cat teach the dog what its rules are. IME cats have pretty good judgement for things like this, and are usually pretty effective dog trainers (in a good way, I mean, not hurting the dog)

Good luck,

Pat

10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

my cat must be weird... he loves to have his nails trimmed and lays back in my arms like a baby - legs splayed while I clip them and he falls asleep. [​IMG]

weirdo cat... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by