anyone use the nasco chicken nest box?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crysmom, Jan 9, 2008.

1. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My zoo has several of those and they are nice sized for bantams but it would be cramped for large breeds such as Orps and Rocks. I would not get those for my Orps tho but fine for my bantams.

If I can roughly guess the size of the room inside of it, it would smaller than your standard typing paper. Not enough for the big hen to lay down and settle down in the nest.

Maybe someone else might have some in their coops....

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

By the dimensions, it seems plenty big enough. 24-1/4" H x 16" W x 10-1/2" D

I thought a 12x12x12 is recommended?

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Only for regular sized hens, big hens like Orpingtons, Austrolorps etc need 14" x 14" x 14" Jersey Giants are even bigger and should have 18" x 18" x 18"

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you know if RIRs are considered standard or large? I'm still deciding on what size to make the nests.

6. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    $25.00? Each?

7. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I would build a small one, but $25 is a great deal! They are $50 everywhere else same with the two hole twice as much everywhere else. I was going to get them but they were two expensive so i built them then i found nasco and got really mad but oh well natural is always better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by